National youth policy reviews
An international review of national youth policy is the most complex and comprehensive of measures fostering youth policy evaluation and development available under this package. Undertaken this process involves wide ranging commitment, from political to financial, for both the requesting country and the Council of Europe. The main milestones include the preparation of a national report about the youth policy and youth situation in the country, an expert team assessment of the report followed up with up to two intensive field visits around the country to study the particular perspectives, the finalisation of the international report further to input from the requesting government, and its presentation at a public hearing.
National youth policy series
In total, the national youth policies of 21 countries have been reviewed since the first one in 1997. These reviews involved a steep learning curve in relation both to the process of conducting them and to the content of "youth policy". Following the first seven reviews, a synthesis report was produced that endeavoured to construct, from the material available, a framework for assisting the understanding of "youth policy". A similar "synthesis" exercise took place after a further seven reviews, reflecting both on the unfolding and evolving process of carrying out the reviews and on new themes and issues for "youth policy" that had not emerged or been apparent within the initial framework. A third synthesis report did not focus exclusively on the final seven reviews but also drew together some of the conclusions and challenges that had emerged over the two decades of reviews, as well as considered some lessons for the future.
- Supporting young people in Europe - Looking to the future - Volume III - Howard Williamson (2017)
- Supporting young people in Europe, vol. 2. - Lessons from the “second seven” Council of Europe international reviews, Howard Williamson (2008)
- Supporting young people in Europe – Principles, policies and practice - The Council of Europe international reviews of national youth policy 1997-2001 – a Synthesis report by Howard Williamson (2002)
Other policy documents
- The European and International Policy Agendas on Children, Youth and Children’s Rights - A Belgian EU Presidency Youth Note (2010)
- A contribution to youth work and youth policy in Europe - Report of the Belgian EU Presidency Youth (July-December 2010)
- Young people and Violence Prevention – Youth Policy Recommendations, edited by Gavan Titley / Les jeunes et la prévention de la violence - Recommandations politiques, rédigé par Gavan Titley (2004)
- Experts on Youth Policy Indicators: Third and concluding meeting - European Youth Centre, Strasbourg (26–27 March 2003)
- Changing Forms of Participation - Round-table on new forms of youth participation, Switzerland by Dr Lasse SIURALA (4–6 May 2000)
- New Developments in National Youth Policies 1999-2000
- Comparative Study of Youth Policies and Legislation in States Party to the European Cultural Convention of the Council of Europe / Etude comparative des politiques et législations en matière de jeunesse des États parties à la convention culturelle du Conseil de l’Europe, CDEJ (96) 11 rev. 2 (1998)
If you are interested in ordering a hardcover copy, please consult the Council of Europe publishing website or contact us directly:
Council of Europe Publishing,
F- 67075 Strasbourg.
Fax: +33 (0)388 41 39 10
Tel: + 33 (0) 388 41 25 81