European Platform for Youth Centres
The European Platform of Youth Centres is organised annually in order to encourage professional knowledge sharing among youth centres recognised with the Quality Label and those aspiring to its acquisition.
The first platform meeting was held in 2010 in the European Youth Centre in Budapest, although since then many other youth centres rewarded with the Quality Label have provided a home to this event .
Through the years of its existence the platform developed to be a prestigious event, and as of 2018 some new approaches are being implemented regarding its organisation. Platform meetings are intended to be about strategic issues of common interest related to the running of a youth centre, they would now be held primarily in either of the two Council of Europe Youth Centres of Budapest or Strasbourg, and their length will be much shorter to better accommodate the needs of people in management positions. Complementary to the Platform meetings, Training Courses are also organised within the frameworks of the Quality Label Programme. These occasions ensure best practice sharing amongst the educational staff of the Youth Centres and are to be hosted by a Quality Label youth centre who most closely matches the theme of the training course – in order to utilise that centres expertise and knowledge.
On the latest platform the following clear objectives were set in relation to the future of these meetings:
- to inform about recent developments in youth policy on European level and to discuss how they can be used by the centres in terms of recognition of their work and impact;
- to exchange experience and practices among centres in how they address the challenges they are facing at national level;
- to develop joint approaches in order to promote the youth centres;
- to ensure networking and cooperation possibilities among labelled centres.
2018 - 9th European Platform of Youth Centres
- Dates: 5-6 June 2018
- Location: European Youth Centre Budapest
- Summary: The focus of this Platform meeting was ‘Involving Youth Centres in the Youth Policy and Youth Work of the Council of Europe’. In this context it was important to highlight the priorities of the Council of Europe for young people at this time:
- Youth for Democracy Programme;
- Access to rights for young people;
- Youth participation and youth work;
- Inclusive and peaceful society;
- Supporting member states in the development of youth policy.
- Number of Participants: 40
- Opening and welcome address by Antje Rothemund
- Presentation of participants and youth centres
- Programme presentation
2017 - 8th European Platform of Youth Centres
- Dates: 27-29 June 2017
- Location: Vormingscentrum Destelheide, Dworp, Belgium
- Summary: The 8th Platform took place from 27 to 29 June 2017 at Vormingscentrum Destelheide in Dworp, Belgium. As in previous years, the platform was an opportunity to discuss:
- recent developments in the Quality Label Project;
- the role of centres in promoting values and priorities of the Council of Europe in the youth field;
- the role of youth centres in promoting quality and recognition of youth work in Europe.
The Platform concluded on a number of key points for the further development of the Quality Label project relating to cooperation between the centres and to network enlargement.
Some very practical ways in which the Council of Europe could follow up the Platform meeting were suggested as follows:
- developing a module for the technical dimension of running centres;
- organising a thematic action days in which all labelled centres can participate;
- organising study visits and job shadowing to the European Youth Centres and between the labelled centres.
- Number of Participants: 33
- Vormingscentrum Destelheide Welcome
- Quality Label state of play
- Enter Recommendation
- Youth Centre’s presentations:
- “Reaching out to vulnerable young people”: presentation of good practices in youth centres:
2016 - 7th European Platform of Youth Centres
- Dates: 22-25 February 2016
- Location: Lisbon Youth Centre, Portugal
- Summary: The 7th European Platform of Youth Centres took place from 22 to 25 February, 2016, at the Lisbon Youth Centre, Portugal, and hosted 35 participants from 25 centres and 20 countries.
The aims of this 7th European Platform, with the project now at a mature stage, and in its sixth active year, were to further consolidate the Platform, but also to develop the project, experience the workings of six fully-developed centres, learn more about new centres applying for the Quality Label, and encourage new centre representatives to benefit from the cross-exchange of ideas, expertise and materials, and thus encourage continued and further co-operation on ideas for future projects in the field of youth between youth centres within Europe.
Number of Participants: 35