Freedom of expression and links with other human rights
The Committee of Ministers entrusted the Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH) to undertake work in respect of the links between freedom of expression and other human rights.
To this end, the CDDH conducted an analysis of the relevant jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and other Council of Europe instruments and prepared a guide to good national practices on reconciling freedom of expression with other rights and freedoms, in particular in culturally diverse societies.
The aim of this work is to provide support for States to:
- ensure coherent policies and better implementation of the legislation aimed at protecting and promoting freedom of expression which constitutes a basis for a large number of other freedoms
- reinforce the national and European legal framework as well as the co-operation between member States;
- draws attention to contemporary issues that interact with freedom of expression.
This work will be completed by 31 December 2019.
This activity is prepared by national experts from a selected number of member States in the Drafting Group on freedom of expression and links to other human rights (CDDH-EXP).
The activity also benefits from the active participation of:
- non-governemental organisations, including the European Network of Human Rights Institutions (ENNHRI), ARTICLE 19 and the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE).
At the Council of Europe level, the activity is carried out in co-ordination and co-operation with other relevant bodies involved in this field, in particular:
- the Steering Committee on Media and information Society (CDMSI)
- the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- the Gender Equality Commission (GEC)
- the Conference of International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs)
Directorate General of Human Rights and Rule of Law
Committee of Ministers
Department for the execution of the Court's Judgments
European Court of Human Rights
Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights
HELP – European Programme for Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals