|The Council of Europe and Young People|
Advisory Council on Youth
Programme of Activities 2014
European Steering Committee for youth
|PARTNERS & CO-OPERATION|
European Youth Forum
Co-operation programme CoE & Russian Federation
Global Forum on Youth Policies
Activities with Ukraine
Youth policy & participation in Turkey
|EDUCATION & TRAINING|
non formal education & training
Roma Youth Action Plan
Human rights education youth programme
Human rights education
|SUPPORT FOR YOUTH ACTIVITIES|
European Youth Foundation
Alliance of civilizations
Author(s) : Edited by Helen Colley, Philipp Boetzelen, Bryony Hoskins and Teodora Parveva
Social exclusion, the polarisation of the types of chances life offers to different groups of young people, is increasing, it is spatially concentrated in some regions and neighbourhoods and is arguably linked to social class. Race and gender can also contribute to this phenomenon, as can other inequalities such as disability.
Social inclusion is therefore one of the central goals of European policies towards young people, especially in relation to employment, lifelong learning and vocational guidance.
This book presents key findings from a research seminar organised by the European Youth Partnership on the theme of "Social inclusion and Young People" The articles included give a picture of the forms of social exclusion affecting young people nowadays and provide evidence of the progress of strategies to promote social inclusion.
As part of the framework partnership agreement on youth between the Council of Europe and the European Commission, the research seminar and this publication support efforts in the fields of youth policy, education and training to build a more inclusive society for all.
1. Social inclusion and young people: breaking down the barriers
2. Social exclusion and young people: some introductory remarks
3. Disadvantage in youth transitions: constellations and policy dilemmas
4. Poverty and youth transitions in Europe: an analysis of the European Communities Household Panel
5. Depending on their parents: risks of social exclusion among youth in north-western Spain
6. European policies on social inclusion and youth: continuity, change and challenge
7. Is there a pedagogy of social inclusion? Critical reflections on European policy and practice in school-to-work transition
8. Educated, (un)employed, activated, included - "participated"? Contradictions in supporting young people in their transitions to work
9. Monitoring policy development in the field of education for active citizenship
10. Kurdish women in Sweden: a feminist analysis of barriers to integration and strategies to overcome them
11. Success stories? Roma university students overcoming social exclusion in Hungary
12. Racialised identities: the experiences of minority ethnic trainee teachers
13. Social exclusion or alienation? Understanding disability oppression
14. Social inclusion, young people and sexual health: what are the links?
15. Fostering social inclusion through a change of language education policies: lessons from Luxembourg
Report of the European Youth Research Partnership Seminar on Social Inclusion and Young People: executive summary
Recommendations from the European Youth Research Partnership Seminar on Social Inclusion and Young People
List of contributers