The historic events in the countries of the southern Mediterranean in 2011 paved the way for far-reaching changes in the region, including the start of processes of opening up and democratisation. In view of the situation and the resulting dynamic, the Council of Europe has conducted a new policy towards its immediate neighbourhood, in particular North Africa, since 2011. The Congress was closely involved in the preparation of the Neighbourhood Partnership documents with Morocco and Tunisia. With its partners in the Council of Europe, it is responsible for implementing their local and regional democracy component, the purpose of which is to assist with the local and regional reforms currently taking place. It is within this context that the Bureau of the Congress adopted on 10 February 2017 a co-operation programme for southern Mediterranean countries entitled South-Med Partnership to meet the objectives of the neighbourhood policy. Read more
Following the historic events in the countries of the southern Mediterranean in 2011, the Council of Europe has conducted a new policy towards its immediate neighbourhood, in particular North Africa. The South-Med Partnership programme was adopted by the Bureau of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities Bureau during its meeting on 10 February 2017 which is designed as a framework for the co-operation projects implemented in relevant countries, in particular in Morocco and Tunisia. The Bureau also appointed a Spokesperson and three substitute Spokespersons to the mandate of the Thematic Spokesperson on the South-Med Partnership.
- Leaflet - Congress
- Leaflet - European Charter of Local Self-Governement
- Booklet - European code of conduct for the political integrity of local and regional elected representatives
- Booklet - Revised European Charter on the Participation of Young People in Local and Regional Life
- Booklet - Reference framework for regional democracy
- Toolkit "Organising intercultural and interreligious activities"
The Congress Bureau appointed Piero FASSINO, Italy (SOC) as thematic spokesperson on South-Mediterranean Partnership.
Artur TORRES PEREIRA
- Resolution 342 (2012) The changes underway in the Arab countries – opportunities fofr local and regional democracy
- Recommendation 325 (2012) The changes underway in the Arab countries – opportunities for local and regional democracy
- Resolution 343 (2012) Policy of the Council of Europe towards neighbouring regions: the role of the Congress
- Resolution 376 (2014) Partner for Local Democracy status
- Programme of the Congress South-Med Partnership (2017)