Secretary General and Director
Andreas Kiefer was elected Secretary General in 2010 and re-elected in 2015 and in November 2020.
The Secretary General of the Congress is responsible for the proper functioning of the Congress and its organs – such as the President, the Bureau, Statutory Forum, the committees - and the follow-up to their decisions, for providing leadership and guidance to the colleagues in the secretariat, to manage the financial resources in order to achieve the political and thematic objectives defined by the Congress in its priorities. His responsibilities also comprise maintaining constructive relations between the Congress and its institutional partners in the Council of Europe (notably the Parliamentary Assembly, the Committee of Ministers, the European Court of Human Rights and the Commissioner for Human Rights), as well as its national delegations, political groups and external partners, notably national and international associations of local and regional authorities and the Committee of the Regions of the European Union.
The Secretary General of the Congress is answerable to the Congress and its organs and acts under the authority of Secretary General of the Council of Europe Marija Pejčinović Burić.
Rafael Benitez is the Director of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities.
The Director of the Congress is responsible for assisting the Secretary General with the management of the Congress Secretariat and with the fulfilment of the Congress mandate, providing support for its various bodies, and to contribute to the development and the implementation of the objectives of the Congress.
The Director is appointed by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe following consultation with the Bureau of the Congress.
- Preventing and combatting sexism at local level in Georgia – Congress launches a practical guide
- Local Democracy and Open Government: dialogue for sustainable partnerships in Ukraine
- Congress of Local Authorities from Moldova adopts its Strategic Plan for 2021-2027
- 30 years of the European Charter of Local Self-Government in Spain
- Congress and the European Committee of the Regions step up their co-operation
- 03.03.2021 - Activity report CG(2021)40-14
- 08.07.2020 - Activity report CG37(2019)24
- 23.10.2019 - Activity report CG37(2019)23
- 02.05.2019 - Activity report CG36(2019)25
- 17.10.2018 - Activity report CG34(2018)24
- 18.04.2018 - Activity report CG34(2018)23
- 13.12.2017 - Activity report CG33(2017)31
- 19.04.2017 - Activity report CG32(2017)29
- 30.11.2016 - Activity report CG31(2016)27
- 13.04.2016 - Activity report CG30(2016)22
- 01.12.2015 - Activity report CG/2015(29)26
- 15.04.2015 - Activity report CG/2015(28)21
- 10.12.2014 - Activity report CG(27)19
- 16.04.2014 - Activity report CG(26)19
- 11.12.2013 - Activity report CG(25)26
- 03.04.2013 - Activity report CG(24)18
- 14.11.2012 - Activity report CG(23)19
- 09.05.2012 - Activity report CG(22)20
- 16.11.2011 - Activity report CG(21)23
- Article: "The Congress of Local and regional Authorities - Fundamental reform and a new dynamic approach to monitoring" - [EN - DE]
- Article: Council of Europe Congress, championing local and regional democracy since 1957 [EN - DE - FR]
- Article: 1988-2018: 30th anniversary of the European Charter of Local Self-Government – taking stock of its core provisions [EN]