Secretary General and Director
Andreas Kiefer was elected Secretary General in 2010 and re-elected in 2015 for a mandate until 30 June 2020. The election of the Secretary General of the Congress for the next mandate was scheduled for the March 2020 session, which had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 measures. The election is now scheduled for October 2020. Following a request of the Congress Bureau, Andreas Kiefer is currently acting Secretary General until 31 December 2020.
The Secretary General of the Congress shall be answerable to the Congress and its organs and act under the authority of Secretary General of the Council of Europe Marija Pejčinović Burić.
The Secretary General of the Congress must ensure the smooth functioning of the Congress and its bodies and the follow-up of their decisions. He is also responsible for transmitting texts adopted by the Congress to the Parliamentary Assembly and the Committee of Ministers, as well as for the efficient management of the human and financial resources of the Congress.
The Director of the Congress is responsible for assisting the Secretary General with the management of the Congress Secretariat and with the fulfilment of the Congress mandate, providing support for its various bodies, and to contribute to the development and the implementation of the objectives of the Congress.
The Director is appointed by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe following consultation of the Bureau of the Congress.
- High-Level Group Meeting of the Congress and the European Committee of the Regions
- The Secretary General presents the Congress’ activities to the Committee of Ministers
- PLATFORMAwards Ceremony: Decentralised cooperation, a valuable tool for better coordination of multilevel governance
- Congress Bureau adopts a Declaration on the impact of central government COVID-measures on local and regional authorities
- Sustainable development: Local and regional partnerships to receive special awards
- 23.10.2019 - Activity report CG37(2019)23
- 02.05.2019 - Activity report CG36(2019)25
- 17.10.2018 - Activity report CG34(2018)24
- 18.04.2018 - Activity report CG34(2018)23
- 13.12.2017 - Activity report CG33(2017)31
- 19.04.2017 - Activity report CG32(2017)29
- 30.11.2016 - Activity report CG31(2016)27
- 13.04.2016 - Activity report CG30(2016)22
- 01.12.2015 - Activity report CG/2015(29)26
- 15.04.2015 - Activity report CG/2015(28)21
- 10.12.2014 - Activity report CG(27)19
- 16.04.2014 - Activity report CG(26)19
- 11.12.2013 - Activity report CG(25)26
- 03.04.2013 - Activity report CG(24)18
- 14.11.2012 - Activity report CG(23)19
- 09.05.2012 - Activity report CG(22)20
- 16.11.2011 - Activity report CG(21)23
- Article: "The Congress of Local and regional Authorities - Fundamental reform and a new dynamic approach to monitoring" - [EN - DE]
- Article: Council of Europe Congress, championing local and regional democracy since 1957 [EN - DE - FR]
- Article: 1988-2018: 30th anniversary of the European Charter of Local Self-Government – taking stock of its core provisions [EN]