Gudrun MOSLER-TÖRNSTRÖM: "In the Congress we are committed to a Europe of solidarity”
Speaking at the opening of the 33rd Congress Session, in Strasbourg, France, on 18 October 2017, Congress President Gudrun MOSLER-TÖRNSTRÖM, pointed out that the European construction has enabled historic advances over the last sixty years. 'We do not want to abandon these advances and each and every one of us, in our own particular roles, can help preserve what has been achieved,' she added highlighting the role of the Congress in this regard. Reaffirming the importance of strong regions with broad powers, the President of the Congress indicated that she did not believe that 'the Europe we earnestly hope for can be built on weak nation States, a disintegrated, fragmented Europe which would be devoid of all influence in the world.”. 'There is no room for selfishness, be it national or regional. There is no place for nationalism, whether national or regional”, she added. .' For the President, the message of the Congress is clear: 'We know that devolution is essential, that municipal and regional self-government, clearly defined within the limits of each State’s legally-established borders, is indispensable. But we do not want to see our nations implode,” she concluded.
- Political dialogue between Ukrainian mayors and Congress members
- Petr MLSNA: “Supporting local and regional democracy is a top priority of the Czech Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers”
- Gudrun MOSLER-TÖRNSTRÖM: "In the Congress we are committed to a Europe of solidarity"
- Thorbjørn Jagland: “Member states have a duty to ensure Council of Europe principles are respected”
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Council of Europe's Congress examines the situation in Mostar
- Local and regional democracy in Serbia
- Local and regional democracy in Italy
- Belgium: Congress of the Council of Europe adopts report on local democracy in a context of linguistic diversity in the municipalities with language facilities
- Congress adopts Information Report on Yerevan elections
- Congress presents recommendation on the local elections in Finland
- Local and regional democracy in Switzerland
- Regional diversity: “Rebuild Europe from the regions”
- How to increase the participation of women in political life at regional level ?
- Debate on linguistic diversity in Europe
- 10 years of the Dosta!/Congress Prize
- 40 youth delegates participate in the 33rd Session of the Congress
- Marc COOLS: “The ELDW, an added value when promoting local democracy”
- Overcoming the challenges specific to rural areas
- Gunn Marit Helgesen: “Regions are the driving force for integrating diversity”
- Meeting of the Congress Current Affairs Committee
- Meeting of the Congress Monitoring Committee
- Meeting of the Congress Governance Committee
- Anders KNAPE: “It is our responsibility to safeguard and to defend the rights of our citizens”
- Agenda and documents
- Adopted texts : EN - FR - DE - IT - TUR - RU
- Links to reports: EN - FR - DE - IT - TUR - RU
- Amendments : EN - FR
- Links to the Summaries of reports: EN - FR - DE - IT - TUR - RU
- Session Guide : EN - FR (Version: 17/10/2017 - 2 pm)
- Download the Session documents on CoECloud or in Zip format (the Session folder is regularly updated)
MediaBox is a mobile studio of multimedia resources allowing live radio interviews and video recordings for the web. Congress members can offer this tool to their press contacts who will have access free of charge to all the facilities on offer. Journalists can also use it directly for the coverage of the Congress Session.