Gudrun Mosler-Törnström (Austria, SOC) was elected President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe on 19 October 2016 for a two-year term of office. She had previously held office as President of the Chamber of Regions of the Congress.
- Gudrun Mosler-Törnström: ''Regional and national parliaments have a responsibility in the fight against populism''
- Gunn Marit Helgesen: “Regions are the driving force for integrating diversity”
- The Congress and the European Committee of the Regions sign a new Co-operation Agreement
- Gudrun Mosler-Törnström: “We are confident that the decentralisation reform will bring about the awaited changes to the system of local self-government in Ukraine ”
- Gudrun Mosler-Törnström: “Given the current challenges, we must preserve the voice of local and regional authorities”
The President's role is to direct the political activities of the Congress and its Chambers, to carry out Congress policy and to represent the Congress vis-à-vis other international organisations, within the context of the Council of Europe's general policy on external relations.
The President of the Congress ensures that decisions taken by the Congress are implemented and reacts on behalf of the Congress to current developments. He or she also presents the activities of the Congress and the texts that it has adopted to the Parliamentary Assembly and Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.