Leendert Verbeek (The Netherlands, SOC/G/PD) was elected President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe on 23 March 2021 for a mandate of two years and a half. He is currently the King's Commissioner for the Province of Flevoland in the Netherlands and he had previously held office as President of the Monitoring Committee of the Congress.
President of the Chamber of Local Authorities
Bernd Vöhringer (Germany, EPP/CCE) was elected, on 23 March 2021, President of the Chamber of Local Authorities of the Congress, for a two-and-a-half-year term of office.
- Leendert Verbeek: “Trust between the citizens and their elected representatives is more necessary than ever to rethink our societies in the aftermath of the health crisis”
- The Congress calls on Poland to withdraw anti-“LGBT ideology” resolutions and to protect the rights of LGBTI people
- The Congress discussed the situation of local democracy in Armenia and held a debate on the “post-COVID” city
- Advancing cooperation: Congress President meets the Hamburg authorities
- Statement by the President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities Leen Verbeek on Europe Day 2021
The President's role is to direct the political activities of the Congress and its Chambers, to carry out Congress policy and to represent the Congress vis-à-vis other international organisations, within the context of the Council of Europe's general policy on external relations.
The President of the Congress ensures that decisions taken by the Congress are implemented and reacts on behalf of the Congress to current developments. He or she also presents the activities of the Congress and the texts that it has adopted to the Parliamentary Assembly and Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.
President of the Chamber of Regions
Harald Sonderegger (Austria, EPP/CCE) was elected, on 23 March 2021, President of the Chamber of Regions of the Congress, for a two-and-a-half-year term of office.