Marc Cools, President of the Congress
Marc Cools (Belgium, ILDG) was elected President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe on 24 October 2023 for a mandate of two years and a half. He is currently the Communal Councillor of Uccle (Belgium) and Honorary Vice-President of the Brussels Parliament and was previously the chair of the Independent and Liberal Democrat Group in the Congress.
Bernd Vöhringer, President of the Chamber of Local Authorities
Bernd Vöhringer (Germany, EPP/CCE) was elected on 25 October 2023 President of the Chamber of Local Authorities of the Congress for a two-and-a-half-year term of office.
- The Congress elects its new President
- Congress supports establishment of the EU’s Ukraine Facility and calls for further decentralisation in the reconstruction process
- President Leendert Verbeek expresses the solidarity and support of the Congress to authorities and citizens of Israel
- Congress President addresses the Ministers of Education of the Council of Europe
- International Day of Peace : Statement by the President of the Congress, Leendert Verbeek
The President's role is to direct the political activities of the Congress and its Chambers, to carry out Congress policy and to represent the Congress vis-à-vis other international organisations, within the context of the Council of Europe's general policy on external relations.
The President of the Congress ensures that decisions taken by the Congress are implemented and reacts on behalf of the Congress to current developments. He or she also presents the activities of the Congress and the texts that it has adopted to the Parliamentary Assembly and Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.