Anders Knape (Sweden, EPP/CCE) was elected President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe on 6 November 2018 for a two-year term of office. He had previously held office as President of the Chamber of Local Autorithies of the Congress.
- Consultation of local authorities: a must for good democratic governance
- Congress Information Report on the May 2018 early local elections in the Republic of Moldova
- Outgoing president calls for gender rotation for the post of Congress president
- Anders KNAPE elected president of the Congress
- Gunn Marit HELGESEN: “It is crucial to give regions a proper place in the future European architecture”
The President's role is to direct the political activities of the Congress and its Chambers, to carry out Congress policy and to represent the Congress vis-à-vis other international organisations, within the context of the Council of Europe's general policy on external relations.
The President of the Congress ensures that decisions taken by the Congress are implemented and reacts on behalf of the Congress to current developments. He or she also presents the activities of the Congress and the texts that it has adopted to the Parliamentary Assembly and Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.