Partner for local democracy status
For local authorities of countries in the Council of Europe’s neighbourhood
Established by Resolution 376 (2014), the Partner for Local Democracy status of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities enables elected representatives of local authorities of countries in the Council of Europe’s neighbourhood to participate, within the Congress, in strengthening local and regional democracy. The introduction of democracy at the level closest to the citizen is a fundamental factor for the development and consolidation of genuine pluralist democracy.
The adoption of this status follows on from the new impetus given by the Congress to its relations with the countries in the Council of Europe’s neighbourhood, especially those on the southern shore of the Mediterranean, under the Organisation’s neighbourhood partnerships. Obtaining this status must be requested under a procedure established by Article 64 of the Congress’s Rules and Procedures.
Members of delegations from countries granted this status can take part in the sessions of the Congress and the meetings of its committees (Monitoring Committee, Current Affairs Committee, Governance Committee) throughout the year and can express their opinions and table proposals in order to contribute to debates.
The Partner for Local Democracy status ties in with the Council of Europe’s neighbourhood policy. Designed for partners in North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, the Neighbourhood Policy pursues the following three objectives:
- to facilitate democratic political transition in the countries concerned
- to help promote good governance through the protection of human rights and the rule of law
- to reinforce and extend regional action to address common challenges
- Report CG37(2019)06final Request for Partner for Local Democracy status submitted by the Republic of Tunisia
- Report CG/BUR27(2019)28 Request for Partner for Local Democracy status submitted by the Republic of Tunisia
- Report CG36(2019)07 Partner for Local Democracy status obtained by the Kingdom of Morocco
- Report CG35(2018)10 Information report on the municipal elections in Tunisia (6 May 2018)
- Programme of the Congress South-Med Partnership (2017)
- Resolution 437 (2018) The consultation of local authorities by higher levels of government (Arabic version)
- Resolution 376 (2014) Partner for Local Democracy status
- Resolution 343 (2012) Policy of the Council of Europe towards neighbouring regions: the role of the Congress
- Resolution 342 (2012) The changes underway in the Arab countries – opportunities fofr local and regional democra
- Recommendation 325 (2012) The changes underway in the Arab countries – opportunities for local and regional democracy
- Leaflet - Congress
- Leaflet - European Charter of Local Self-Governement
- Booklet - European code of conduct for the political integrity of local and regional elected representatives
- Booklet - Revised European Charter on the Participation of Young People in Local and Regional Life
- Booklet - Reference framework for regional democracy
- Toolkit "Organising intercultural and interreligious activities"
- The Congress FACTSHEET on women's rights and gender equality