Migration and Integration
The increasing number of migrants coming to Europe constitutes a critical challenge for all levels of government, calling for adapted and effective measures in Council of Europe member States. Local and regional authorities who, as the public authority closest to the population, are the first port of call in any emergency situation, have the responsibility to provide newly arrived migrants with access to key public services (housing, healthcare, education) without any discrimination.
- International Migrants Day: Congress President underlines the crucial role of local and regional authorities
- Yoomi Renström: ‘’Local and regional authorities are key actors in the organisation of migrants’ reception and integration‘’
- Voting rights at local level: A factor in the long-term integration of IDPs and migrants
- Eirini DOUROU: “Faced with the migration phenomenon, responsibility sharing and solidarity are requirements”
- Rena DOUROU in the Conference on Migration and Asylum: “Over the past 20 years, the Congress has sought to address the refugee/migrant phenomenon through the lens of local democracy, rule of law and respect for human rights”