35th session of the Congress: integrity and ethical behaviour of local and regional elected representatives
The members of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe met in Strasbourg, France, from 6 to 8 November 2018 at their 35th session on the theme of “Integrity and ethical behaviour of local and regional elected representatives”. The Congress examined, for adoption,...
Congress members renewed the presidency of the Congress on 6 November 2018 in Strasbourg, France. They elected Anders KNAPE (Sweden, EPP/CCE) President, Gunn Marit HELGESEN (Norway, EPP/CCE) President of the Chamber of Regions and Xavier CADORET (France, SOC) President of the Chamber of Local Authorities. The three Congress committees also held elections, with Gabriele NEFF (Germany, ILDG) and Leendert VERBEEK (Netherlands, SOC) being re-elected Chair of the Current Affairs Committee and Chair of the Monitoring Committee respectively, while Robert GRÜMAN (Romania, EPP/CCE) was elected Chair of the Governance Committee.
Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers: “The European Charter of Local-Self-Government is a major achievement of the Council of Europe”
“These are, undoubtedly, difficult times. At the European level, at the national and local level and also at an institutional level. Pan-European challenges are more present than ever,” said Marija Pejčinović BURIĆ, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign and European Affairs of Croatia,...
Conflicts of interest, transparency, open government and Code of Conduct regarding local and regional governance: four reports were adopted on these issues during the 35th Session of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg (France) on 7 November 2018....
On 7 November 2018 the Congress adopted a recommendation which included several proposals for the reform of its political functioning. The aim is to consolidate its institutional role as a guarantor of local and regional democracy within the Council of Europe, while strengthening its capacity to...
- The first municipal elections in Tunisia, a starting point for further decentralisation
- Congress discussed the Report on local elections in the Netherlands
- Congress Information Report on the May 2018 early local elections in the Republic of Moldova
- Local and regional democracy in Georgia
- Local democracy in Slovenia
- Local democracy in Lithuania
- Coping with the debt burden: Congress stresses need to provide local authorities with adequate resources
- Congress continues debate series on “mayors under pressure”
- Territorial justice requires better definition of the role of states and the local and regional levels
- Consultation of local authorities: a must for good democratic governance
- Border regions facing migration
- Voting rights at local level: A factor in the long-term integration of IDPs and migrants