SDG 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Equality between men and women is an integral part of human rights and a fundamental criterion for democracy. Equality is a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world. Providing women with equal access to education, health care, decent work, and representation in political and economic decision-making processes is fundamental for social cohesion and prosperity.
The approach of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities is based on three key principles: achieving SDGs is the shared responsibility of all levels of government; local and regional authorities must have the necessary competences and financial autonomy to achieve the goals in their respective areas; citizens must always remain at the heart of the action.
The Congress actively supports efforts to achieve gender equality and empower women and girls at the local and regional level. It encourages local authorities to provide political efforts to: increase the decision-making power of women, guarantee women’s rights and ensure the integration of women from religious and cultural minorities.
The Congress is undertaking work on women's participation in public life, equality between men and women, as well as on women’s rights, by introducing quotas in its national delegations, adopting resolutions and recommendations on gender equality, and contributing to actions fighting violence against women.
The Congress adopted the following texts in relation to SDG 5:
- REC449 (2020) and RES459 (2020) - Fighting sexist violence against women in politics at local and regional level
- RES405 (2016) - Gender Budgeting
- REC390 (2016) and RES404 (2016) - Women's political participation and representation at local and regional levels
- REC370 (2015) and RES380 (2015) - Guaranteeing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people's rights: a responsibility for Europe's towns and regions
- RES318 (2010) - Cultural Integration of Muslim Women in European Cities
- REC288 (2010) and RES303 (2010) - Achieving sustainable gender equality in local and regional political life
- REC260 (2009) and RES279 (2009) - Combating domestic violence against women
The following thematic activities of the Congress are particularly related to SDG 5:
Congress has issued the following SDG 5 relevant publications:
Through its co-operation activities, the Congress stresses the importance of adopting and implementing the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men in Local Life, launched by the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) in 2006, as a sound step towards gender equality, gender mainstreaming and the promotion of equal opportunities for women and men in local political and public life.