A delegation from the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, led by Mr Andrew DAWSON (ECR, United Kingdom), carried out a pre-election visit in Ankara, on 14 March 2019, in order to evaluate the campaign and the preparations of the local elections to be held in Turkey on 31 March 2019.
The delegation met with representatives of the diplomatic corps in Ankara and members of the Supreme Electoral Council. Exchanges were also held with representatives of national associations of local authorities, media representatives and NGOs.
This pre-election visit will be followed, from 27 March to 1 April 2019, by a Congress election observation mission including 24 international observers. On Election Day, eleven Congress teams will be deployed to polling stations throughout the country.
Members of the Congress Pre-Election Delegation:
· Mr Andrew DAWSON, (ECR, United Kingdom), Head of Delegation
· Ms Barbara TOCE (SOC, Italy), Vice-President of the Congress
· Mr Robert GRUMAN (EPP-CCE Romania)
· Ms Kateryna MARCHENKO (SOC, Ukraine)
· Mr Vladimir PREBILIC (SOC Slovenia)
· Prof. Angel M. MORENO, President of the Congress’ Group of Independent Experts on the European Charter of Local Self‑Government, expert on electoral matters
· Ms Renate ZIKMUND, Acting Head of Service, Department of Statutory Activities, Division of Local and Regional Election Observation
· Mr Adam DRNOVSKY, Election Observation Officer, Local and Regional Election Observation
· Ms Martine ROUDOLFF, Assistant, Local and Regional Election Observation
Congress of Local and Regional Authorities
Renate ZIKMUND - Renate.firstname.lastname@example.org