Forum on the present and future of citizenship and human rights education in Europe
Turin, Italy, 11-13 April 2022
The Forum on Human Rights and Citizenship Education will bring together up to 300 participants (offline and online) who are involved in HRE/EDC with young people and children in different settings - NGOs, education authorities, formal education, human rights institutions, youth organisations and networks. Prior to the Forum the Council of Europe will carry out a review of the implementation of the Charter on Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education (EDC/HRE), which will be presented and discussed during the event. By looking at the present and future of citizenship and human rights education in Europe, the forum aims at strengthening the quality, recognition, sustainability and outreach of EDC/HRE.
This forum is co-organised by the Council of Europe (Education and the Youth sectors) and the Department for Youth Policy and the Universal Civic Service of the Italian government, in cooperation with Amnesty International (European Office and Italian section), the City of Turin, the National Youth Council of Italy and the European Youth Forum. The activity is organised within the Italian Presidency in the Council of Europe, which made youth policy one of its strategic priorities.
- To review the implementation of the Council of Europe Charter on EDC/HRE;
- To identify and address successes and challenges in carrying out EDC/HRE in a (post) pandemic context for human rights education and linking specifically with some of the thematic priorities of Italian Presidency in the Council of Europe:
- Gender equality and combating violence against women
- Children’s rights and youth policies
- Protection of cultural heritage
- Artificial intelligence and human rights/democracy/rule of law;
- To make proposals for the further development and sustainability of EDC/HRE in the state’s parties to the European Cultural Convention;
- To share practices and support exchange and cooperation between different stakeholders from formal and non-formal education fields concerned with EDC/HRE in the thematic priorities;
- To enhance the recognition of the role of youth civil society and further develop cross sectoral cooperation for EDC/HRE, including youth work;
- To strengthen cross sectoral dialogue and partnerships between different stakeholders in EDC/HRE: educators, trainers, authorities and policy makers, intergovernmental organisations and others;
- To contribute to the strategic priorities and programme of the Italian Presidency in the Council of Europe, and to the work on HRE in Italy and particularly in the city of Turin.
Deadline for applications: 9 February 2022, 23:59 CET