Safety, Security and Service: the Saint-Denis Convention
15 mai 2023
Council of Europe participates in the European Council ‘s policy debate on “Ensuring respect for Human Rights in the organisation of major international sport events”Sport Division Brussels, Belgium 15 May 2023
The Council of Europe reaffirmed the need to uphold human rights in major international sports...
25 avr. 2023
Greece ratifies the Saint-Denis ConventionSAINT-DENIS CONVENTION Strasbourg, France 25 APRIL 2023
Panayiotis Beglitis, Permanent Representative of Greece, deposited, this 25 April 2023, before...
20 avr. 2023
The Committee on Safety and Security at Sports Events holds its 3rd meetingSaint-Denis Convention Strasbourg, France 19-20 April 2023
The Committee on Safety and Security at Sports Events (the Saint-Denis Committee) held its 3rd...
The Council of Europe Convention on an Integrated Safety, Security and Service Approach at Football Matches and Other Sports Events was opened for signature on 3 July 2016 in Saint-Denis (France), at a UEFA EURO 2016 quarter-final match.
To date 26 States have ratified the convention and 13 have signed it.
What is the purpose of this convention?
- This convention builds upon the work done internationally since the adoption of the European Convention on Spectator Violence in 1985.
- This Convention is the only internationally binding instrument to establish an integrated approach based on three interdependent pillars: safety, security and service.
- Its aim is to go from a violence-focused approach towards an integrated approach based on safety, security and service.
- It provides measures based on the highest safety, security and service standards developed in Europe.
- It also promotes co-operation between all public and private stakeholders, including supporters, in order to provide a safe, secure and welcoming environment at football matches and other sports events.
Council of Europe Convention on an Integrated Safety, Security and Service Approach at Football Matches and Other Sports Events (CETS No. 218)
Explanatory Report of the Convention