Freedom of expression and links with other human rights
The Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH) has been entrusted by the Committee of Ministers to undertake work in respect of the links between freedom of expression and other human rights. As a first step, it was called on to conduct an analysis of the relevant jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and other Council of Europe instruments.
- Analysis of the relevant jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and other Council of Europe instruments to provide additional guidance on how to reconcile freedom of expression with other rights and freedoms, in particular in culturally diverse societies (as adopted by the CDDH at its 87th meeting, 6-9 June 2017).
On this basis and following the work already carried out in promoting pluralism and tolerance and contributing to maintaining cohesive societies, the CDDH will prepare a Guide to good national practices on reconciling freedom of expression with other rights and freedoms, in particular in culturally diverse societies. The deadline for this work has been set on 31 December 2019.
- Terms of reference 2018-2019
- Protection and promotion of human rights in culturally diverse societies
- High-level Seminar (13 June 2016)
- Guidelines of the Committee of Ministers (as adopted by the CDDH at its 84th meeting, 7-11 December 2015)
- Compilation of Council of Europe standards relating to the principles of freedom of thought, conscience and religion and links to other human rights (as adopted by the CDDH at its 83th meeting, 17-19 June 2015)
This activity is prepared by national experts from a selected number of member States in the Drafting Group on freedom of expression and links to other human rights (CDDH-EXP).
The activity also benefits from the active participation of:
- non-governemental organisations, including the European Network of Human Rights Institutions (ENNHRI), ARTICLE 19 and the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE).
At the Council of Europe level, the activity is carried out in co-ordination and co-operation with other relevant bodies involved in this field, in particular:
- the Steering Committee on Media and information Society (CDMSI)
- the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- the European Roma and Traveller Forum
- the Gender Equality Commission (GEC)
- the Parliamentary Assembly (Committee on Equality and Non-discrimination)
- the Conference of International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs)
4th MEETING, 20-22 March 2019
3RD MEETING, 25-27 April 2018
- Meeting report
- Draft Guide to good practices on the way of reconciling freedom of expression with other rights and freedoms, in particular in culturally diverse societies (CDDH-EXP(2018)R3add revised)
2ND meeting, 27-29 september 2017
1st meeting, 22-23 March 2017