Seminar on States’ obligations under public international law in relation to immunity of State officials
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania organised a half-day expert seminar on States’ obligations under public international law in relation to immunity of State officials, for the members of the Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI) on the margins of its 63rd meeting in Bucharest. This event was meant to offer an academic and expert perspective over the complex topic of States’ obligations in relation to immunity of State officials in view of current and emerging practice as a means to informing and supporting States’ own evaluations over the articulation between the relevant jurisprudence of the international courts and the customary immunities of State officials, as well as to facilitating a general exchange of views on the matter.
This seminar was opened by Ms Alina OROSAN, Director General for Legal Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania, Chair of the CAHDI.
- Ms. Alina Orosan, Chair of the CAHDI, Director General for Legal Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania
Panel 1: Status-quo
- Ms. Kaija Suvanto , Director General for Legal Affairs, Legal Service, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Mr. Philippe Couvreur , Judge ad-hoc former Register of the International Court of Justice
The relevant case-law of the international court of justice
- Sir Howard Morrison, former ICC Judge
- Mr. Jörg Polakiewicz, Director of Legal Advice and Public International Law (Legal Adviser), Council of Europe
States’ obligations under public international law in relation to the immunity of State officials – the European Court of Human Rights’ perspective
Panel 2: In perpective
- Mr. Konrad Marciniak, Director of the Legal and Treaty Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland
- Mr. Dapo Akande, Co-Director of the Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict (ELAC) at the Blavatnik School of Government/University of Oxford, Member of the United Nations International Law Commission
- Mr. Ion Gâlea, Professor of Public International Law, Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest, judge at the EU Court of Justice
- Ms. Concepción Escobar Hernández, Professor of Public International Law and International Relations, Member of the International Law Commission (Special Rapporteur on Immunity of State officials from foreign criminal jurisdiction)