Establishment and purpose
The Fund finances activities that support member states’ efforts in implementing the European Convention on Human Rights ("the Convention”) and other Council of Europe human rights instruments.
It contributes to strengthening the sustainability of the European Court of Human Rights, by:
- preserving and promoting common fundamental values concerning human rights, democracy and the rule of law
- ensuring effective mechanisms for verifying the compatibility of legislation and administrative practice with the Convention, including ensuring effective domestic remedies
- facilitating the implementation of national measures to prevent or redress violations of human rights.
The Human Rights Trust Fund projects contribute to ensuring :
- that effective remedies exist for anyone with an arguable complaint of violation of the Convention
- that there are domestic procedures that comply with procedural obligations under the Convention to conduct effective investigations and handle cases of serious violation of the Convention
- that there are effective mechanisms for verifying the compatibility of draft legislation and administrative practice with the Convention
- that adequate organisation, operation and infrastructure of administrative and judicial public services exist.