3rd European Congress on Global Education
Education for a Global Citizenship - Unity in Diversity. Zagreb, 26-28 November 2015
This Congress brought together over 200 stakeholders in global education (GE), from formal and non-formal education sectors, civil society platforms, governments, parliaments, local and regional authorities and intergovernmental organisations from Europe and beyond, using the principle of "quadrilogue" and of a holistic approach to global education.
Objectives of the Congress
The objectives of the Congress were to:
- Contribute to a Global Education/Global Citizenship Education (GE/GCED) competence and methodological framework, in particular key competences for intercultural and interreligious understanding, to be used in both formal and non-formal education sectors and which contribute to critical and active citizenship, aware of, and able to deal with global challenges and opportunities;
- Identify the priorities and mechanisms for further strengthening of GE/GCED, given the existing needs and the achievements at the country level, within national strategy development, curricular reform, capacity-building, quality support, campaigning and outreach;
- Identify the added value and possible contribution of GE/GCED to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Outline proposals to establish an oversight mechanism to support evaluation and implementation of GE/GCED in Europe and propose an Action Plan for the next three years in terms of policy development, pedagogical support and training mechanisms.
Workshops briefing notes
- Workshop 1: Intercultural & Interfaith Dialogue
- Workshop 2: Active Citizenship
- Workshop 3: Education & Sustainability
Background documents and documentary resources
Milestone Framework Documents
The activities of the North-South Centre Global Education programme are implemented in the framework of the iLegend programme -Intercultural Learning Exchange through Global Education, Networking and Dialogue- a joint programme between, and funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe.