UKRAINE EU and Council of Europe working together to support freedom of media in Ukraine
“EU and Council of Europe working together to support freedom of media in Ukraine” project
On 1 September 2019, the media component of the Joint Project of the European Union and the Council of Europe “EU and Council of Europe working together to strengthening protection of the human rights in Ukraine” was launched.
The Project will be implemented by 09 July 2021. It is funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe and implemented by the Council of Europe. The Project’s global objective is to support the alignment of the national legislation and practice in Ukraine with the European standards in the areas of media freedom and human rights protection. The Project’s components are aimed at supporting priorities included in the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2021 as well as at facilitating implementation of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, ratified in September 2014.
Expected results of the media component:
- The governance system of public broadcaster is built, it is financially sustainable and enjoys editorial independence to fulfill its role of public service media;
- The reform of communal print outlets is finalized, they are strengthened and provide quality journalism at local level;
- Enhanced safety of media actors as a result of guaranteed protection by law and strong nationally owned Rapid Response Mechanism for protection of media actors;
- The Law “On Audiovisual Services” is adopted and implemented in line with EU AVMS Directive and the Council of Europe standards and ensures the independence of the National TV and Radio Broadcasting Council of Ukraine;
- Access to public information and transparency in operations of the information holders is ensured.
- Media coverage of elections is effectively regulated and mechanisms for fighting information disorder and propaganda are introduced resulting with increased transparency of electoral process.
Following the decision of the Committee of Ministers on 16 March 2022 the Russian Federation is no longer a member of the Council of Europe. The website will be updated as soon as possible to take account of this development.