Understanding the Impact of Digitisation on Culture
Digitisation is profoundly changing our cultural experience, not only in terms of new technology-based access, production and dissemination, but also in terms of participation and creation, and learning and partaking in a knowledge society.
Digitisation must be accompanied by enlightened cultural policies, if opportunities for access and participation, individual and collective creativity are to be fully used. The 2013 Ministerial Conference on Culture highlighted the importance of users’ individual and collective needs vis-à-vis digital media. It hinted at risks for European cultural diversity and the need for adequate conditions for cultural content production and creativity in the digital age.
The Council of Europe, in partnership with its member States is dedicating itself to developing such policies by offering a multi-stakeholder platform for the exchange of experience and good practice to policy makers, leading researchers, practitioners and civil society. The platform events produce insights for policy orientations and Council of Europe guidelines to ensure democracy and human rights for citizens in the digital era. A Council of Europe Recommendation on the Internet of Citizens has been issued in February 2016. Its focus is on (1) the modernization of cultural institutions; (2) the empowerment of citizens as consumers, creators and prosumers and (3) fostering multi-literacy skills education for access to, creation and management of digital culture. A Council of Europe Recommendation on Big Data for Culture, Literacy and Democracy was adopted in autumn 2017. It stresses, in particular, that everyone can choose to remain inscrutable in the digital age and therefore to not have predictions made by algorithmic decision making about their cultural attributes, preferences and behaviours.
Four Platform Events were held: in Baku (2014), Linz (2015), Tallinn (2016) and Karlsruhe (2017). The 4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation “Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens” took place at the ZKM | Center for Art and Media on 19-20 October 2017 in conjunction with the exhibition “Open Code – Living in Digital Worlds”.
An expert seminar on Culture, Creativity and Artificial Intelligence (E-relevance of Culture in the Age of AI) will take place in Rijeka on 12-13 October 2018 in the framework of the Croatian Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe. It will look at orientations for working towards a culture of responsible innovation, empowering citizens and laying the foundations for the emergence of a modern Leonardo da Vinci. Questions for debate include:
- How can culture maintain its important enlightenment role in a time where AI already heavily impacts (and indeed creates) culture?
- Can it contribute to a more human- and citizen-centred technological future by proposing and developing alternative concepts?
- How does AI impact on the perception of human uniqueness/genius, the role of artists, intellectual property?
The event will also host the exhibition opening of Anatomy of an AI System, a map that guides through the birth, life and death of an individual networked device based on a centralised artificial intelligence system, created by Vladan Joler, Share Foundation founder and Professor at the University of Novi Sad.
- Expert seminar on Culture, Creativity and Artificial Intelligence (E-relevance of Culture in the Age of AI)
Rijeka, Croatia - 12-13 October 2018
- 4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation “Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens”
Karlsruhe, Germany - 19-20 October 2017
- 3rd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Culture 4D: Digitization, Data, Disruptions, Diversity"
Tallinn, Estonia - 29-30 September 2016
- 2nd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Smart Creativity, Smart Democracy"
Linz, Austria - 4-5 September 2015
- First Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Creating an enabling environment for digital culture and for empowering citizens"
Baku, Azerbaijan - 4-5 July 2014
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2017)8 on Big Data for culture, literacy and democracy [27/09/2017]
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2016)2 on the Internet of citizens [10/02/2016]
- Brochure on Platform Exchanges on Culture and Digitisation
- Digital intermediation of everything: at the intersection of politics, technology and finance - Essay by Evgeny Morozov
- The perils of populism: what politicians, civic groups, and citizens can do - Essay by Jan-Werner Mueller
- On the aesthetics of populism in the digital age: a case for art - Essay by Gunnar Schmidt (+ German version)
- Europe’s Creative Thought Leaders Come Together for Digital Empowerment - Bojana Dobran
- Rethinking digital intermediation and cultural competence to challenge populism – Bojana Dobran
4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation
“Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens”
ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, 19-20 October 2017