Understanding the Impact of Digitisation on Culture
Digitisation is profoundly changing our cultural experience, not only in terms of new technology-based access, production and dissemination, but also in terms of participation and creation, and learning and partaking in a knowledge society.
Digitisation must be accompanied by enlightened cultural policies, if opportunities for access and participation, individual and collective creativity are to be fully used. The 2013 Ministerial Conference on Culture highlighted the importance of users’ individual and collective needs vis-à-vis digital media. It hinted at risks for European cultural diversity and the need for adequate conditions for cultural content production and creativity in the digital age.
The Council of Europe, in partnership with its member States is dedicating itself to developing such policies by offering a multi-stakeholder platform for the exchange of experience and good practice to policy makers, leading researchers, practitioners and civil society. The platform events produce insights for policy orientations and Council of Europe guidelines to ensure democracy and human rights for citizens in the digital era. A Council of Europe Recommendation on the Internet of Citizens has been issued in February 2016. Its focus is on (1) the modernization of cultural institutions; (2) the empowerment of citizens as consumers, creators and prosumers and (3) fostering multi-literacy skills education for access to, creation and management of digital culture. A Council of Europe Recommendation on Big Data for Culture, Literacy and Democracy will be adopted in autumn 2017.
Three Platform Events were held in Baku (2014), Linz (2015) and Tallinn (2016). The 4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation “Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens” will take place at the ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe on 19-20 October 2017.
- 4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation “Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens”
Karlsruhe, Germany - 19-20 October 2017
- 3rd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Culture 4D: Digitization, Data, Disruptions, Diversity"
Tallinn, Estonia - 29-30 September 2016
- 2nd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Smart Creativity, Smart Democracy"
Linz, Austria - 4-5 September 2015
- First Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Creating an enabling environment for digital culture and for empowering citizens"
Baku, Azerbaijan - 4-5 July 2014
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2017)8 on Big Data for culture, literacy and democracy [27/09/2017]
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2016)2 on the Internet of citizens [10/02/2016]
- Brochure on Platform Exchanges on Culture and Digitisation
- Digital intermediation of everything: at the intersection of politics, technology and finance - Essay by Evgeny Morozov
- The perils of populism: what politicians, civic groups, and citizens can do - Essay by Jan-Werner Mueller
- On the aesthetics of populism in the digital age: a case for art - Essay by Gunnar Schmidt (+ German version)
- Europe’s Creative Thought Leaders Come Together for Digital Empowerment - Bojana Dobran
- Rethinking digital intermediation and cultural competence to challenge populism – Bojana Dobran