Conference in Kyiv, Ukraine - 27 February 2019
The findings of the Congress Information report on the elections in Ukraine were presented by Stewart Dickson (United Kingdom, GILD-ILDG), Congress Spokesperson on the Observation of Local and Regional Elections, at the Forum “Efficient local government as a background of democratic and...
Voting rights of IDPs in Ukraine: Congress rapporteurs call on the Verkhovna Rada to accelerate the adoption of draft Law No. 6240
Drawing from the general consensus that providing IDPs with the right to vote is essential for successful integration, the Congress rapporteurs call on the Ukrainian authorities to take the necessary legislative measures, in particular in view of the next local election in 2020, to make IDPs’...
The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities (the Congress) discussed the voting rights of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) at local level in Ukraine and the measures needed to ensure their electoral participation, at a conference on 27 February in Kyiv. The conference will be followed, on...
- Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) make up a population of more than 1.5 million in Ukraine. Forced displacement exposed them to significant challenges to uphold their rights. Obstacles of legal and practical natures deprive IDPs of their right to vote in local elections.
- The conference is organised in the framework of a follow-up on the Congress Recommendation 419 (2018) and Resolution 431 (2018) on Voting rights at local level as an element of successful long-term integration of migrants and IDPs in Europe’s municipalities and regions.
- In Recommendation 386 (2016) on Observation of local elections in Ukraine, the Congress invited Ukraine to address this issue before the next local elections in 2020.
- More information on Congress co-operation activities in Ukraine
The project "Strengthening democracy and building trust at local level in Ukraine" is implemented by the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities as part of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2021.
- Accreditation: The conference is open to the press upon request for prior accreditation - deadline 26 February 2019
- Contact: Estelle Steiner, Spokesperson/Press Officer, tel. +33 3 88 41 33 35, mobile +33 6 08 46 01 57
Mob: +380 96 340 13 83
Senior Project Officer
Acting Head of Service
Department of Statutory Activities,
Local and Regional Election Monitoring
Head of Unit
Co-operation and External Relations Department
Tel: +33 3 88 41 22 33