At its 40th session held online 23 to 24 March 2021 the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities adopted its priorities for the next five years. The Congress will focus on the contribution of local and regional authorities to the UN Sustainable Development Goals by promoting:
- Resilient societies: effective responses to public health crisis;
- Democratic societies: quality of representative democracy and citizen participation;
- Cohesive societies: reducing inequalities;
- Sustainable societies: environmental issues and climate action;
- Digital societies: digitalisation and artificial intelligence in the local context.
The Congress priorities take into account the strategic framework of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe and the priorities of the members States and put the emphasis on environmental and social sustainability, digital revolution, as well as citizen engagement in a democracy.
Co-rapporteurs on the Congress priorities Xavier Cadoret (France, SOC/G/PD) and Gunn Marit Helgesen (Norway, EPP/CCE) highlighted that “the mentioned areas require a systemic approach, efficient and needs-tailored answers as well as urgent, joint and coordinated action from all levels of governance, civil society and the private sector”.
Congress members also recognised the major role of local and regional authorities in the post-crisis recovery and emphasised that the respect of the European Charter of Local Self-Government is essential to safeguard local democracy and ensure the resilience of local self-government. The report can be found here.
The Congress also adopted a recommendation on its budget calling for resources commensurate with its statutory missions and role. Co-rapporteurs Anna Magyar (Hungary, EPP/CCE) and Barbara Toce (Italy, SOC/G/PD) expressed concerned about the steady decrease in Congress resources and the need to have the necessary resources to carry out the priorities.
- Video on the Priorities of the Congress (English version)
- Video on the Priorities of the Congress (Original version)
** 40th Session of the Congress **