The programme "Regional Support to Reinforce Human rights, Rule of Law and Democracy in the Southern Mediterranean" (South Programme IV) is a joint initiative, co-funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe, and implemented by the latter. Building on the achievements and lessons learned from the past three phases, Phase IV, covering the period March 2020 – February 2022, aims to continue supporting democratic reforms in the Southern Mediterranean region, namely Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia and Palestine*.
More specifically, the South Programme IV aims at:
- Strengthening and pursuing efforts towards a common legal space between Europe and the Southern Mediterranean region;
- Supporting the effective implementation of human rights, the respect of rule of law and improving democratic governance through improved institutional capacities;
- Combating violence against women in the region;
- Strengthening and expanding regional co-operation to address global challenges such as fighting economic crime and trafficking in human beings.
* This designation shall not be construed as recognition of a State of Palestine and is without prejudice to the individual positions of Council of Europe and European Union member States on this issue.
In Morocco, bilateral anti-trafficking activities are in progress thanks to voluntary contributions from Liechtenstein, Norway and Spain. These include the recent launch of the Council of Europe HELP course for judges on combating trafficking in human beings.
In Tunisia, the PAII-T — Projet d’Appui aux Instances Indépendantes en Tunisie, or PAII-T/component 7, is a European Union/Council of Europe Joint Programme covering the bilateral dimension of anti-trafficking activities. The key activities organised in conjunction with the National Authority for Combating Trafficking in Persons (INLTP) regard the following:
- National Referral Mechanism for Victims of Trafficking in Persons in Tunisia
- Capacity building in the fight against trafficking in persons
- Regional Platform (Southern Mediterranean) to combat trafficking in human beings
- COVID19: Assistance to trafficking victims during general confinement in Tunisia
Click here to see all the tools developed in this framework
- Tunis, 15-16 December 2021: Conference Launch of the National Referral Mechanism (NRM) for Victims of Trafficking in Persons in Tunisia
- Tunis, 14 October 2021: Launch of the Guide for the support and reintegration of victims of human trafficking in Tunisia
- Rabat, 13 July 2021: Initial training of the academic community in the fight against human trafficking
- Rabat, 2 July 2021: Raising awareness of the academic world in the fight against human trafficking
- 10 June 2021: Call for tender - Intellectual services - Gender equality, combating violence against women and domestic violence, combating trafficking in human beings, children's rights and combating sexual violence against children
- Tunis, 7 June 2021: Launch of the Interview Kit for victims of trafficking in persons in Tunisia
- 13 April 2021: Referring victims of human trafficking: training for members of the National Anti-Trafficking Commission of Morocco
- 6 April 2021: Raising awareness of the academic world on the fight against human trafficking: workshop in Tangier
- 1 March 2021: Regional action against trafficking in human beings in the southern Mediterranean: meeting the challenges of judicial cooperation
- 15 February 2021: Detecting and identifying victims of human trafficking: two online sessions for members of the National Anti-Trafficking Commission of Morocco
- 27 January 2021: Cards to explain rights to victims of human trafficking in Tunisia - Newsroom (coe.int)
- 12 January 2021: Combating trafficking in human beings: French-Arabic Compendium of judgments and decisions of the European court of human rights - News (coe.int)
- Online, 21 December 2020: Partenariat renforcé avec la Commission nationale anti-traite du Maroc - Actualités (coe.int)
- Online, 1 December 2020: Regional action against trafficking in human beings in the Southern Mediterranean: common challenges and shared solutions - News (coe.int)
- Tunis, 14 February 2020: Cross-border launch of the HELP course for legal professionals of the southern Mediterranean region on the fight against trafficking in human beings - News (coe.int)
- Rabat, 11-12 March 2019: Fight against trafficking in human beings in Morocco: efforts towards the operationalisation of the National Referral Mechanism - News
- Rabat, 11-12 February 2019: Towards a National Referral Mechanism for victims of trafficking in human beings in Morocco - News (coe.int)