The city of Ioannina has set up an Urban Working Group with the aim to: 1) ensure a coordinated urban response 2) guarantee the sustainability of initiatives that are already proving to be relevant for refugees, asylum seekers and migrants and 3) the adoption and adaptation of other good practices in urban response, extending them in Greece, to the region.
Urban Working Group is an initiative developed by the Municipality of Ioannina, with the support of UNHCR, and NGOs and INGs working on the Urban response in Epirus.
Within this initiative, two Help Desks for Refugees and Migrants have been set up in Ioannina: the Service centre help desk, which has served 1.677 regufees, migrants and other vulnerable individuals; and the IAC - Information Assistance Centre, located in an office provided by the Municipality, and which has so far assisted 324 Refugees, Migrants and Vulnerable individuals by providing support and consultancy services related to:
- The translation of Asylum Card,
- The issuance of Social Security Number (AMKA) & fiscal registration number (AFM)
- The registration in the National Manpower Organization & the issuance of unemployment card,
- The opening of bank account,
- The registration of new births in Greece at the Municipal’s Registry,
- The school enrolment, registration of children in education,
- The access to Social Solidarity Services Social Solidarity Income and other social and Family Allowances,
- The access to the local labor market such as CV’ s creation,
- The provision of information and legal advice on how to get married,
- The provision of legal support including the residence permit and legal assistance to PoC’s facing difficulties in exercising their rights