Norway: City Network on Diversity and Ethnic Equality
In 2010 it was proposed to form a network for matters of diversity and ethnic equality amongst the cities Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger and Kristiansand.
The Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities (KS) and The directorate of Diversity and Integration (IMDi) are invited to participate in the meetings.
The network will share information and experiences between those responsible for, or involved in the cities on mainstreaming services to a diverse population.
The mandate for the activities in the network is related to ethnic equality and
- Service providing and the city as employers
- Democratic participation, representation and contribution
- Elementary, secondary and higher education
- Work and business development
- Work-immigration and migration
- Discrimination and racism
- International results on intercultural cities, migration and service provision
- Relevant research reports - e.g. research done by the larger cities in Norway
- Initiatives in regard to national authorities
- Dissemination on “Charter on Integrating Cities”
The Network will meet at least once a year in one of the cities. The host and secretariat of following meeting will be chosen at the meeting.
The specific objective of the network is to facilitate the exchange experiences between member cities in order to encourage further development of intercultural policies and practices.