PGG II: Women's Access to Justice (2019-2022)
Member states of the Council of Europe have a legal obligation to ensure that all individuals in their jurisdiction have effective, available and efficient access to justice, that there is a system of remedies for victims and that the justice system is held accountable for any violation. Effective justice systems based on human rights standards, the rule of law and democratic values are central to enabling women to become equal partners in decision-making and development and to be informed participants in their societies.
The project, implemented under the Partnership for Good Governance (PGG), a joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe, aims at strengthening access to justice for women, especially women victims of violence in line with the Council of Europe gender equality standards and contributing towards the Eastern Partnership countries ratification of the Council of Europe Istanbul Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence.
The project objectives:
- Authorities, justice sector professionals, and civil society apply new competences on the standards on access to justice of the Istanbul Convention, in order to remove obstacles to access to justice.
- Authorities, justice sector professionals and civil society introduce measures, including on training, to ensure that the justice chain is gender responsive, particularly for women victims of violence in line with the Istanbul Convention and other European standards.
The project complements other Council of Europe projects in the region by contributing to the development of a gender sensitive justice system.
The European Union
The project additionally co-operates with different state institutions, non-governmental organisations and international organisations working in the field of gender equality and combating and preventing violence against women and domestic violence.
Report of the International Conference "Women’s Access to Justice: moving closer to full ratification and implementation of the Istanbul Convention” ENG
Report of the online roundtable on "Framework to measure access to justice including specific challenges facing women" ENG
Training Manual for Judges and Prosecutors on Ensuring Women’s Access to Justice consists of a general part, and is accompanied by four country chapters available in English and the respective language of each country ENG / ARM / GEO / ROM / RUS / UKR
- Country Chapter for Armenia ARM / ENG
- Country Chapter for Georgia GEO / ENG
- Country Chapter for the Republic of Moldova ROM / ENG
- Country Chapter for Ukraine UKR / ENG
Feasibility Study on Equal Access of Women to Justice ENG
PGG (2015-2018) Project Translations
Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention) in other languages ARM / GEO / ROM / RUS / UKR and its explanatory report AZE / RUS
Feedback report on gender mainstreaming in the Swedish Courts ENG
HELP course on Access to Justice for Women
- Co-operation projects
- HELP online course on violence against women and domestic violence
- Co-operation Newsroom
- Co-operation with the EEA and Norway Grants
- PGG: Strengthening access to justice for women victims of violence (2015-2018)
- PGG II: Women's Access to Justice (2019-2022)
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women in Armenia (2018)
- The Path towards Armenia's Ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence
- Raising Bosnia and Herzegovina's institutional capacity to prevent and combat violence against women and domestic violence (2019)
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women in Georgia (2018-2019)
- Reinforcing the fight against violence against women and domestic violence in Kosovo* (Phase II), 2019 -2021
- Co-operation on the implementation of the Russian Federation National Action Strategy for Women 2017–2022 (2019-2020)
- The Istanbul Convention: a tool to advance in fighting violence against women and domestic violence in Ukraine (2018-2020)
- Co-operation with Southern Mediterranean countries
- Promoting an Integrated Approach to End Violence against Women and Enhancing Gender Equality in Georgia (2020-2022)
- Awareness-raising Activities on the Istanbul Convention in the Republic of Moldova (2020-2021)
- Fostering a comprehensive institutional response to violence against women and domestic violence in Turkey
- Raising awareness of the Istanbul Convention and other gender equality standards in Azerbaijan
- Combating Violence Against Women in Ukraine (COVAW)
- Contact us -coop projects
- Reinforcing the fight against violence against women and domestic violence in Kosovo* (phase III)
- Cooperation for the implementation of the Russian Federation National Action Strategy for Women: applying best practices
- Fostering women’s access to justice in Türkiye
- Supporting the implementation of the Istanbul Convention in the Republic of Moldova
- Ending violence against women: multi-country programme
- Raising awareness of the Istanbul Convention: methodology and toolkit for civil society organisations