PGG: Strengthening access to justice for women victims of violence (2015-2018)
The project “Strengthening access to justice for women victims of violence” was implemented under the Partnership for Good Governance (PGG), and was jointly funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe.
Carried out in cooperation with national partners in the six Eastern Partnership countries of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, and Ukraine, the project builds on the outcomes of the preceding PGG Project “Improving women’s access to justice in the Eastern Partnership countries” (2015-2017) and works with national training institutions and judges, prosecutors and other legal professionals to ensure women’s equal access to legal protection and remedies.
The project seeks to increase knowledge and improve skills to apply Council of Europe standards and good practices in the justice sector of the beneficiary countries regarding gender equality, women’s rights and access to justice.
The objective of all activities carried out under this project is twofold:
- To improve the gender-responsiveness of the justice systems in the Eastern Partnership countries and strengthen the access to justice for victims of violence against women, in particular through capacity building of legal professionals to implement gender-sensitive measures, and
- To increase awareness on and support the ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (Istanbul Convention).
In 2018, the project “Strengthening access to justice for women victims of violence” focused on:
- Developing a free online e-learning course on Women’s Equal Access to Justice on the platform of the Council of Europe Programme for Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP)
- Making accessible key Council of Europe resources in national languages by translating select standards, reports and documents dealing with access to justice for women and violence against women
- Organising a regional conference focusing on access to justice for women victims of violence to take stock of progress and existing challenges in the Eastern Partnership countries
2015 - 2018
The project was implemented by
the Capacity Building and Co-operation Projects Unit at the Council of Europe's Gender Equality Division