Standards and Mechanisms
The Council of Europe’s pioneering work in the fields of human rights and gender equality has also resulted in solid standards which, if fully implemented, would and bring member states closer to real equality between women and men. Some of the milestone achievements in this respect include two conventions.
The Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings recognises that trafficking in human being is a heavily gendered phenomenon and contains several strong references to gender equality and to mainstreaming a gender equality perspective in the area of trafficking. The Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (Istanbul Convention) is the most far-reaching international treaty to tackle violence against women and domestic violence. It aims at zero tolerance for such violence and is a major step forward in making Europe safer for women. In addition, a number of Recommendations adopted by the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers address gender equality issues in a broad range of areas notably violence against women, balanced participation in political and public decision-making, media, education, health or sport.
Council of Europe Conventions
Recommendations of the Council of Europe
- 2019. Recommendation CM/Rec (2019)1 of the Committee of Ministers to member States to prevent and combat sexism
- 2017. Recommendation CM/Rec(2017)9 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on gender equality in the audiovisual sector
- 2015.Recommendation CM/Rec(2015)2 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on gender mainstreaming in sport (Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 21 January 2015 at the 1217th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies) Spanish
- 2013.Recommendation CM/Rec(2013)1 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on gender equality and media : English French Portuguese Spanish Croatian Greek
- 2012.CM/Rec(2012)6 : Recommendation CM/Rec(2012)6 of the Committee of Ministers on the protection and promotion of the rights of women and girls with disabilities
- 2010. Recommendation CM/Rec(2010)10 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the role of women and men in conflict prevention and resolution and in peace building
- 2008. CM/Rec(2008)1 Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the inclusion of gender differences in health policy
- 2007. CM/Rec(2007)17 : Recommendation Rec(2007)17 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on gender equality standards and mechanisms adopted on 21 November 2007 and explanatory memorandum
- 2007. CM/Rec(2007)13 Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member states on gender mainstreaming in education adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 10 October 2007 and its explanatory memorandum Croatian Spanish
- 1998. Recommendation No. R (98) 14 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on Gender Mainstreaming
- 1985. CM/Rec(1985)2 : Recommendation R (85) 2 of the Committee of Ministers on legal protection against sex discrimination