Combating Violence Against Women in Ukraine (COVAW)
The COVAW project has been designed in line with the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine (2018-2022) as regards supporting national legislation and policy reforms related to combatting domestic violence, and raising awareness of authorities and the Ukrainian public concerning both the Istanbul Convention and violence against women.
The two components of COVAW – awareness raising and legislative frameworks – provide a double level of support to Ukraine in preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence in line with the standards of the Istanbul Convention.
The project aimed specifically to contribute to the success of the Action Plan through supporting the following priorities:
- adoption of necessary legislation for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention by working with the relevant Committees of the Verkhovna Rada
- increased awareness of the authorities at different levels regarding the problem of violence against women and domestic violence in Ukraine and the need to combat it; sharing information about the Istanbul Convention and other international standards in this area
- raising awareness of society on combating stereotypes and gender inequality, risks of domestic violence and the international standards to combat it, including the Istanbul Convention
- strengthened capacities and increased knowledge of relevant professionals and stakeholders, including in selected amalgamated communities
- identification of gaps hindering prevention of violence against women, protection of victims of this violence, prosecution of perpetrators or integrated policies at a central or local level
- legislative reforms and improved policy to aid victims of violence against women and domestic violence
The project has worked throughout Ukraine to contribute to the creation of an efficient system of protection of victims of violence against women and domestic violence.
1 January 2021 - 31 December 2022
Jenna SHEARER DEMIR, Programme Adviser, Project Manager
together with the Council of Europe Office in Kyiv
Valeriia TKACHENKO, Senior Project Officer
Tetiana ANTONCHENKO, Project Assistant
From previous project
Risk assessment standards and methodologies for diverse stakeholders in Ukraine: Next steps in implementing international standards to ensure the safety of victims of violence against women and domestic violence English | Ukrainian
Infographic - How Ukraine’s system of assistance to victims of domestic violence and violence against women will need to be improved following Ukraine’s ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence - English | Ukrainian
Brochure - How Ukraine’s system of assistance to victims of domestic violence and violence against women will need to be improved following Ukraine’s ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence English | Ukrainian
Video- Myths and Facts about the Istanbul Convention - Ukrainian
For more project publications and translations in Ukrainian, visit the website of the Council of Europe office in Kyiv: