Co-operation on the implementation of the Russian Federation National Action Strategy for Women 2017–2022 (2019-2020)
The project aimed at exchanges of best practices with the relevant stakeholders for the implementation of the Russian Federation National Action Strategy for Women for 2017-2022 (NASW).
The Council of Europe has solid legal, policy and technical expertise and experience in supporting its member states in their efforts to combat violence against women and domestic violence, and strengthen public and political participation of women. These provided the basis for this project’s targeted activities. The project focuses on developing knowledge and skills in two areas of the NASW identified jointly with the Russian Federation authorities:
- violence against women and,
- women’s participation in public and political life.
The co-operation with the Council of Europe provided added value through capacity building and exchanges of practices. Furthermore, the creation of knowledge and capacity among the relevant stakeholders supported Russian Federation authorities to deliver on the NASW and comply with international commitments such as Council of Europe standards, CEDAW Convention or the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development based on 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), notably, SDG 5: Gender Equality.
Final results of the project
The project has run from November 2018 to May 2020. Due to the current restrictions due to COVID-19, a Moscow-Strasbourg high-level online closing event presented the achievements of the project through a video presentation. The winners of the project’s journalists’ competition to raise awareness of problems faced by present-day women were also announced.
Two reports have been developed in the project: ”Achieving balanced participation of women and men in political and public decision making in the Russian Federation. European Best Practice” and the ”Research on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence, including in situations of social disadvantage, in the Russian Federation” which are available in English and Russian.
Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of the Russian Federation
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
High Commissioner for Human Rights of the Russian Federation
European Union Delegation to the Russian Federation
The project was implemented by
the Capacity Building and Co-operation Projects Unit at the Council of Europe’s Gender Equality Division
Marta BECERRA, Head of Unit
Larissa KIREEVA, Project Manager
the Council of Europe Office in Moscow
Irina VITCHINKA, Senior Project Officer
Maria BELYAK, Project Assistant
- Co-operation projects
- Co-operation Newsroom
- Co-operation with the EEA and Norway Grants
- PGG: Strengthening access to justice for women victims of violence (2015-2018)
- PGG II: Women's Access to Justice (2019-2021)
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women in Armenia (2018)
- The Path towards Armenia's Ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence
- Raising Bosnia and Herzegovina's institutional capacity to prevent and combat violence against women and domestic violence (2019)
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women in Georgia (2018-2019)
- Reinforcing the fight against violence against women and domestic violence in Kosovo* (Phase II), 2019 -2021
- Co-operation on the implementation of the Russian Federation National Action Strategy for Women 2017–2022 (2019-2020)
- The Istanbul Convention: a tool to advance in fighting violence against women and domestic violence in Ukraine (2018-2020)
- Co-operation with Southern Mediterranean countries
- Promoting an Integrated Approach to End Violence against Women and Enhancing Gender Equality in Georgia (2020-2022)
- Awareness-raising Activities on the Istanbul Convention in the Republic of Moldova (2020)
- Fostering a comprehensive institutional response to violence against women and domestic violence in Turkey
- Raising awareness of the Istanbul Convention and other gender equality standards in Azerbaijan
- Combatting Violence Against Women in Ukraine (COVAW)
- Contact us -coop projects