Strengthening the efficiency and quality of the judicial system in Azerbaijan
1st March 2019 - 31st August 2021
Context of the Project
This project is a second phase of cooperation with the Azerbaijani judicial authorities. Between March 2015 and April 2017, authorities from the justice sector of Azerbaijan and CEPEJ co-operated in the framework of the Project “Support to increased efficiency of courts, improved training of judges and judicial self-governance in Azerbaijan”.
Court users in Azerbaijan enjoy better access to justice through strengthened efficiency and quality of the judicial system and improved enforcement of court decisions.
The project has two main domains of action:
- The enhancement of the efficiency and quality of Azerbaijani courts through the application of CEPEJ tools at national level.
- The improvement of the enforcement of court decisions through legal and institutional modernisation of the enforcement system.
Project beneficiaries and stakeholders
The main beneficiaries and stakeholders of this project in the Republic of Azerbaijan are the Ministry of Justice, the Judicial Legal Council, and the Justice Academy.
Translation of CEPEJ documents
- Declaration on lessons learnt and Challenges faced by the judiciary during and after the Covid-19 Pandemic / CEPEJ XARTİYASI - “COVİD-19” PANDEMİYASI ƏRZİNDƏ VƏ SONRAKI DÖVR ÜÇÜN ƏDALƏT MÜHAKİMƏSİ SİSTEMLƏRİ QARŞISINDA DURAN PROBLEMLƏR VƏ ƏLDƏ OLUNAN NƏTİCƏLƏR
- European ethical Charter on the use of artificial intelligence in judicial systems and their environment - Süni intellektin məhkəmə sistemləri və onlarla bağlı münasibətlərdə istifadəsinə dair Avropa Etik Xartiyası
- High quality justice for all the member States of the Council of Europe - CEPEJ Studies No. 22 / Ədalət Mühakiməsinin Səmərəliliyi üzrə - Avropa Komissiyası: Elmi və Təcrübi Əhəmiyyəti / CEPEJ-in Elmi Tədqiqatı Nº 22 - Avropa Şurasının nəşri
- Guidelines on the organisation and accessibility of court premises
- Guidelines on the Creation of Judicial Maps to Support Access to Justice within a Quality Judicial System
- Checklist for court coaching in the framework of customer satisfaction surveys among cour users
- Handbook for conducting satisfaction surveys aimed at Court users in Council of Europe's member States
- Revised SATURN guidelines for judicial time management: Məhkəmə proseslərində vaxtın idarə olunmasına dair düzəlişlər edilmiş SATURN təlimatları (2-ci düzəliş) (CEPEJ(2014)16)
- SATURN Time management checklist : Vaxtın idarə edilməsi üzrə yoxlama vərəqəsi (CEPEJ(2015)12Rev) - CEPEJ guidelines on judicial statistics (GOJUST): Məhkəmə statistikasına dair CEPEJ təlimatları (GOJUST)(CEPEJ(2008)11) - Checklist for promoting the quality of justice and the courts : Məhkəmələrin və ədalət mühakiməsinin keyfiyyətini yüksəltmək üçün yoxlama vərəqəsi (CEPEJ(2008)2
The Council of Europe is preparing an expert advice to Azerbaijani judicial authorities on steps to disseminate CEPEJ tools on “Communication strategy for the judiciary”. Online meetings with the Ministry of Justice, the Prosecutor General’s Office, the Constitutional Court and the Supreme Court...
CEPEJ is developing an expert advice to Azerbaijani judicial authorities on “Access to courts for vulnerable groups”. In this regard, online meetings have been organized in June with the Ministry of Justice, the Judicial Legal Council, the Justice Academy, the State Committee for Family, Women...
Road map on dissemination of CEPEJ efficiency and quality measurement tools in all courts of Azerbaijan
The European Union and the Council of Europe continue to work in partnership with the Republic of Azerbaijan to improve efficiency of the Azerbaijani judiciary. In this regard, the Council of Europe has developed a Road map on dissemination of CEPEJ efficiency and quality measurement tools in all...
On 11 December 2019, three CEPEJ experts held a meeting in Baku with representatives of the Directorate General of Enforcement of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ). The aim of the meeting was to discuss the MOJ study on alternative mechanisms of enforcement of decisions and the entrustment of...
On 7-8 October 2019, the CEPEJ, in cooperation with the Academy of Justice of Azerbaijan organised two one-day seminars in Baku for judges and court staff on “Court performance reporting according to CEPEJ tools and methodology”. The aim of the seminars was to develop a standard methodology of...
From 15 to 19 September 2019, the CEPEJ organized a study visit to France (Paris) and the Netherlands (The Hague) for a group of representatives of the Directorate General of Enforcement and the Directorate of Information and Communication Technologies of the Ministry of Justice of Azerbaijan....
Official launching of the CEPEJ cooperation project « Strengthening the efficiency and quality of the judicial system in Azerbaijan »
On the 2 of July 2019, The Council of Europe, the Azerbaijani Judicial authorities and the European Union officially launched the project « Strengthening the efficiency and quality of the judicial system in Azerbaijan ». This launching event was the opportunity to present the new project to the...
First activity of the CEPEJ cooperation project « Strengthening the efficiency and quality of the judicial system in Azerbaijan »
On the 2 and 3 July 2019, the first activity of the project « Strengthening the efficiency and quality of the judicial system in Azerbaijan » was held in Baku. It has been a round table on the topic « European trends regarding the status of enforcement agents ». This activity falls under the...
- Partnership for Good Governance (PGG) website
- Former cooperation programmes:
- "Partnership for good governance in Azerbaijan” (January 2015 - December 2017)
- Enhancing judicial reform in the Eastern Partnership countries (Azerbaijan) (January 2012 - December 2014)
- Country profile Azerbaïjan