Newsletter July August 2021
Report on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Note on standards for migrants, asylum applicants and refugees to effective remedies at European borders
On 7 July 2021, The Special Representative of the Secretary General on Migration and Refugees, Ambassador Drahoslav Štefánek published a report on his mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Among the findings, the Special Representative recommended support to the authorities in developing and...
Judgments concerning Poland and Hungary, and interim measures at Belarus borders
On 25 August 2021, the European Court of Human Rights decided to indicate interim measures in the cases of Amiri and Others v. Poland and Ahmed and Others v. Latvia. The applicants seek to enter the relevant Contracting State from the Belarus border. The measures will apply for a period of three...
Commissioner reacts on the situation in Afghanistan, and at Belarus border with Poland, Lithuania and Latvia
On 30 August 2021, the Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights, Dunja Mijatović, published a statement on Council of Europe member states’ responses to the situation in Afghanistan and their human rights obligations towards people seeking protection in Europe. In her statement she said:...
ECSR decision on the protection of migrant children in Greece
On 12 July 2021, the European Committee of Social Rights (ECSR) made public the decision on the merits in International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) and European Council for Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) v. Greece Complaint No. 173/2018. In their complaint, ICJ and ECRE alleged that serious systemic...
Parliamentary Assembly autumn session highlights
On 30 September 2021, the Council of Europe will receive Little Amal, a giant puppet at the heart of The Walk, travelling 8,000km in support of refugees. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) and its Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons is supporting “The...
International conference on statelessness and the right to a nationality in Europe
On 24 September 2021, the Council of Europe, through the European Committee on Legal Co-operation (CDCJ), and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) are organising an International Conference on Statelessness and the right to a nationality in Europe: progress, challenges and...
Statement on upholding the protection needs of Afghan judges and other legal professionals
On 23 August 2021, Judge Nina Betetto, President of the Consultative Council of European Judges (CCJE), issued a statement regarding upholding the protection needs of Afghan judges and other legal professionals. The President of the CCJE joined the many international and national organisations...
Launch of free online course on “Asylum and Human Rights” in Spain
On 8 July 2021, the Council of Europe launched a free Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP) online course on “Asylum and Human Rights” in Tenerife, Spain, in co-operation with the Bar Association of Tenerife (ICATF) and Spain's General Council of Lawyers. The session, which was...
- Publication of reports on Czech Republic and Slovak Republic and visits to Poland and Republic of Moldova
- Judgments on Hungary, Lithuania and Russia
- Letters to Interior Ministers of Hungary and Spain, and a statement addressing trafficking in human beings
- ECRI Annual report: Council of Europe anti-discrimination body identified main trends in Europe
- Children in migration: Explanatory memorandum on effective guardianship, and Checklist to protect refugee children from sexual abuse and exploitation
- Activities of the PACE Migration Committee
- Women and child refugees - Congress delegation collects experiences from Polish cities
- HELP Network conference focuses on Council of Europe response to the war in Ukraine
- New reference guide on Literacy and Second Language Learning for the Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants
- First meeting of the Committee of Experts on the Intercultural Integration of Migrants