Conference on Effective Alternatives to the Detention of Migrants
International Conference organised jointly by the Council of Europe, the European Commission and the European Migration Network
Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, 4 April 2019
The Conference seeks to identify ways to make alternatives to the administrative detention of migrants more effective, ensuring compliance with immigration procedures while upholding human rights.
The emphasis is on supporting States in strengthening their capacity to implement alternatives to detention, and to share practical know-how and concrete methods of achieving success in the field.
The Conference will, inter alia, identify:
- key approaches and essential elements of effective alternatives to the detention of migrants in the context of asylum and irregular migration;
- ways to secure individual compliance with migration procedures;
- challenges in implementing alternatives and how to overcome them;
- good practices and lessons learnt in diverse national settings;
- avenues for further cooperation and future practical work
The Conference will bring together key national practitioners and policy makers from across Europe, aiming to provide a forum for constructive exchange.