Patras IAP has been conducted according a participatory and transnational process of drawing it up through technical meetings at local level exploiting the excellent intercultural local network of stakeholders, the exchange of knowledge and suggestions, the familiarization with management tools, organized teamwork in the direction of identifying challenges and proposing actions for addressing them.
Obviously, Patras IAP is based on the central vision of the Intercultural strategy of the city i.e.
To develop Patras as an intercultural meeting point, imbued with a spirit of openness, as a co-creation of the municipality, civil society and the residents of the city”
and the main objectives of the Plan are:
- Organisation of reception and improvement of support services for smooth social integration.
- Improving access to basic goods such as housing, health and education.
- Promoting employment and supporting the mobility of migrant workers.
- Strengthening the intercultural competences of professionals in the field of migration.
- Managing and highlighting interculturalism.
- Developing joint actions among local actors to highlight the importance of unity, against discrimination and stereotypes.
- Combating xenophobia and racism.
- Developing cultural and educational actions with emphasis on women and young people
Within this regard, four priority axes have been identified, namely:
- PRIORITY AXIS 1. NETWORKING AND COORDINATION OF STAKEHOLDERS
- PRIORITY AXIS 2: DEVELOPMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
- PRIORITY AXIS 3: SUPPORT AND SOCIAL INCLUSION OF MIGRANTS
- PRIORITY AXIS 4: ACTIVATING CIVIL SOCIETY AND TACKLING DISCRIMINATION
Through a combination of sub-measures per axis and related proposals for actions included in the IAP, it is expected to lead to multiple results, for example:
- Increase the level of knowledge of migrants about their rights, social benefits and administrative procedures.
- Changing fixed perceptions and negative stereotypes about migrants.
- Enhance growth of local development through the exploitation of the potential of migrants.
- Increase respect of diversity regarding migrants and local population.
- Improve mediation services provided by community.
- Strengthen the intercultural competences of professionals or volunteers (representatives of civil society, local authorities and community organizations)
- The Plan has been designed within the framework of the ARRIVAL CITIES project of URBACT III EU programme.
For more info, please contact: Chrissa GERAGA, Patras ICC Coordinator, tel: +30-2610-361746, email@example.com