Under its terms of reference, the CAHDI is instructed to "maintain contacts with lawyers and legal services of other entities or international organisations".
Numerous non-governmental and governmental organisations are granted participant status at the CAHDI:
- The European Union;
- States with observer status with the Council of Europe: Canada, Holy See, Japan, Mexico and United States of America;
- The Hague Conference on Private International Law;
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO);
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development;
- The United Nations and its specialised agencies;
- European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN);
- International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL);
- Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE);
- The International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC);
- The Asian-African Legal Consultative Organisation (AALCO).