Understanding the Impact of Digitisation on Culture
Digitisation is profoundly changing our cultural experience, not only in terms of new technology-based access, production and dissemination, but also in terms of participation and creation, and learning and partaking in a knowledge society.
Digitisation must be accompanied by enlightened cultural policies, if opportunities for access and participation, individual and collective creativity are to be fully used. The 2013 Ministerial Conference on Culture highlighted the importance of users’ individual and collective needs vis-à-vis digital media. It hinted at risks for European cultural diversity and the need for adequate conditions for cultural content production and creativity in the digital age.
The Council of Europe, in partnership with its member States is dedicating itself to developing such policies by offering a multi-stakeholder platform for the exchange of experience and good practice to policy makers, leading researchers, practitioners and civil society. The platform events produce insights for policy orientations and Council of Europe guidelines to ensure democracy and human rights for citizens in the digital era. A Council of Europe Recommendation on the Internet of Citizens has been issued in February 2016. Its focus is on (1) the modernization of cultural institutions; (2) the empowerment of citizens as consumers, creators and prosumers and (3) fostering multi-literacy skills education for access to, creation and management of digital culture.
Two Platform Events were held in Baku (2014) and Linz (2015). The Estonian Government hosted the 3rd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation in Tallinn on 29-30 September 2016 “Culture 4D: Digitisation, Data, Disruptions, Diversity”.
- 4th Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation “Empowering Democracy through Culture – Digital Tools for Culturally Competent Citizens”
Karlsruhe, Germany - 19-20 October 2017
- 3rd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Culture 4D: Digitization, Data, Disruptions, Diversity"
Tallinn, Estonia - 29-30 September 2016
- 2nd Council of Europe Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Smart Creativity, Smart Democracy"
Linz, Austria - 4-5 September 2015
- First Platform Exchange on Culture and Digitisation "Creating an enabling environment for digital culture and for empowering citizens"
Baku, Azerbaijan - 4-5 July 2014
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2016)2 on the Internet of citizens [10/02/2016]
- Brochure on Platform Exchanges on Culture and Digitisation
- 2016 Tallinn Conference reader “Culture 4D: Digitisation, Data, Disruptions, Diversity”
- From metadata to ‘big data’: Critical considerations on the emergent digital memory industries - Indrek Ibrus, PhD
- Data Disruption: Promises and Perils for the Governance of Culture and the Internet of Citizens - Divina Frau-Meigs, PhD