Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Albania (SEJ IV)
30 juin 2023Tirana 30 June 2023
To mark the 10th anniversary of the National Mediation Chamber in Albania, a workshop focusing on...
13 juin 2023Vlora-Fier, Albania 13 June 2023
The courts of general jurisdiction of Vlora and Fier are being assisted with the European...
1 juin 2023Tirana, Albania 1 June 2023
Today, 38 members of the High Inspector of Justice in Albania enhanced their capacities on...
12 mai 2023
High Judicial and Prosecutorial Councils enhance their inter-institutional cooperation and implementation of CEPEJ toolsKorça, Albania 12 May 2023
In the frame of the Albanian Justice Day, senior representatives and staff of the High Judicial...
5 avr. 2023Tirana, Albania 5 April 2023
In support of enhancing transparency of the justice system and ensuring better communication of...
The Action Strengthening the efficiency and quality of Justice in Albania (SEJIV) is supporting the justice governing institutions and courts in the implementation of the reforms aimed at increasing the efficiency and quality of justice system based on the CEPEJ tools and methodologies as adapted in the Albanian context. The action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye, running from 2023 until 2026.
What is the goal(s) and objective(s) of the action?
The main goal of the action is that the judiciary institutions become more transparent and efficient through improved court management and performance, improved quality of services for users in accordance with CEPEJ standards and tools, and supported by a wider use of IT and online tools.
More concretely the action aims to:
- further raise the capacities of judicial institutions and courts to improve the collection, processing and analysis of judicial statistics.
- expand the use of alternative dispute resolution.
Who benefits from the action?
- Beneficiaries and partner institutions including: Ministry of Justice, High Judicial Council, High Prosecutorial Council, School of Magistrates, General Prosecution Office, High Inspector of Justice, as well as Courts
- Legal Professionals in the field including the Bar Association, National Chamber of Mediation court administrators, judges and prosecutors
- Court users in Albania
How does the action work?
The action builds upon the results of the previous phases of the programme and will use a step-by-step approach with regular monitoring of the reform process and engagement of key beneficiaries in all activities.
The action will provide out assessments’ activities in strong collaboration with beneficiaries and provide recommendation reports to all relevant institutions in both governing and court level.
Court coaching activities will be organized aiming to offer hands on experience to the reorganized courts, using the opportunity of the implementation of the new judicial map.
The Action will implement activities such as needs assessments, targeted court coach activities, review of regulatory framework, training seminars and workshops, study visits, placements/internships, Training of Trainers, participation of beneficiaries to the CEPEJ Working Groups, expertise to beneficiaries working groups etc.
What do we expect to achieve?
During its implementation the action will contribute towards:
- A transparent and efficient judicial system which provides better services to the citizens of Albania in accordance with CEPEJ standards and tools;
- Strengthened capacities of judicial institutions and courts regarding collection, processing and analysis of judicial statistics;
- Extended use of alternative dispute resolution in the justice system in Albania.
What is the budget of the action?
- The total budget of the action is 859,000 Euros.
- The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
About Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye?
The Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Council of Europe that enables the Western Balkans Beneficiaries and Türkiye to meet their reform agendas in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy and to comply with the European standards, which is also a priority for the EU enlargement process.