Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania
03 Mar 2021 13:55:00Albania 3 March 2021
On the eve of the 7th March, National Teacher's Day, a professional network of 125 teachers was...
29 Jan 2021 17:17:00
Education officials and civil society dedicated to strengthening democratic citizenship education in AlbaniaTirana, Albania 29 January 2021
One year ago, the Council of Europe, in partnership with the Swedish International Development...
20 Nov 2020 10:04:0020 November 2020
Over 100 representatives from the Albanian Parliament, the Ministry of Education, Sports and...
29 Oct 2020 10:00:0029 October 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic is challenging our education systems and institutions, while is increasing...
The project “Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania” is implemented by the Council of Europe (CoE) and funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth of Albania (MoESY) is the main partner in the implementation of the project.
What do we want to achieve:
- To improve the quality of education in Albania by strengthening democratic citizenship education based on Council of Europe standards and practices.
Who will benefit:
- Education policy makers, school principals, teachers, students and school staff from selected pilot primary and secondary schools, local communities.
Timeline and budget:
- The duration of the project is set at 48 months and it is expected to be completed by 30 November 2023, with an overall budget of 1,385,600 Euros.
How we will do it:
- Building on previous Council of Europe cooperation activities in Albania, the project supports the on-going curriculum reform and the new education approaches, such as competence-based education and student-centered teaching methods.
The objective of the project will be achieved through a series of complementary measures targeting education policy and practice in the three areas of policy support, democratic school governance and teacher support:
1. Policy support
- This component will support a comprehensive review of democratic citizenship education in Albania to identify the opportunities and challenges for further aligning the national curriculum to Council of Europe standards and national policy objectives, as well as support the Ministry of Education, Sports and Youth to integrate the democratic development objective in the new National Strategy.
2. Democratic school governance
- This component will support 75 pilot schools in developing and implementing democratic governance policies and practices to create an inclusive and enabling learning environment for all students, focusing on areas such as digital citizenship, media literacy, safety online, fighting bullying, teaching controversial issues, and climate change.
3. Teacher support
- This component will enhance teachers’ professional competences, attitudes and practices so that they are better equipped to develop democratic competences in learners through e-learning, regional peer exchange, training and coaching events.
Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture
The Council of Europe’s “Reference Framework of Competences for Democratic Culture (RFCDC)" is at the center of project methodology. The RFCDC consists of three volumes, providing guidance on the implementation of the “Model of Competences for Democratic Culture”
- Horizontal Facility for Western Balkans & Turkey - Phase II
- Action against Economic Crime in Albania
- Strengthening the Quality and Efficiency of Justice in Albania (SEJ III)
- Supporting enforcement of judicial decisions and facilitating the execution of ECtHR judgements in Albania (D-REX II)
- Enhancing the Protection of Human Rights of Prisoners in Albania
- Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media in Albania (JUFREX)
- Promotion of diversity and equality in Albania
- Other Current Projects