Enhancing the Protection of Human Rights of Prisoners in Albania
20 Sep 2022 14:48:00
Finland hosts Albanian prison officials, sharing good practices on prisoners’ employment and rehabilitationFinland 20 September 2022
As part of the ongoing efforts of the Albanian authorities to improve education and employment...
06 Apr 2022 15:02:00
Albania strengthens preconditions for multi-agency coordination in reintegration of violent extremist prisonersAlbania 6 April 2022
A total of 8 local inter-agency coordination forums on improving the management of violent...
01 Apr 2022 13:54:00
The Albanian prison system drafts the Action Plan for the national roll out of Risk and Needs Assessment and Individual Sentence Planning at the national levelKorçë, Albania 1 April 2022
As part of the ongoing efforts to strengthen the protection of human rights of prisoners in...
04 Mar 2022 14:14:00
Prison police from Peqin and Fier enhance their skills on security related topics, in line with Council of Europe standardsFier, Albania 4 March 2022
The European Union and Council of Europe joint action assisting the prison reform in Albania in...
What is the goal?
- The Action aims to enhance the protection of human rights of prisoners in Albania by assisting the Albanian authorities in:
- introducing an effective human resource recruitment and management model and sustainable provision of training for prison staff;
- strengthening the provision of health care services to the prisoners with a particular focus on detainees with mental disorders, including the development of a suicide prevention strategy;
- preparing and piloting rehabilitation and reintegration programmes for prisoners in parallel with the application of a standard risk and needs management system;
- improving the differentiated treatment of vulnerable groups of prisoners.
Who benefits from the Action?
- public authorities such as: Ministry of Justice; General Directorate of the Prison Administration and prisons’ staff, Ministry of Health and Social Protection;
- partners and other stakeholders: Ombudsman, Ministry of Education, civil society organisations that provide services to persons in prisons and other closed institutions;
- as well as prisoners and related family and society at large.
How will the project work?
- through regular exchanges and close coordination with the project beneficiaries and key stakeholders to identify practical challenges and accordingly develop tailor-made methodologies;
- through a combination of technical expertise and participatory working groups with beneficiary institutions to develop tailor-made training materials, action plans, monitoring practices, and legislative advice etc.
- through capacity building and development of tailored trainings and implementation of pilot programmes targeting prisons’ staff and offenders.
What do we expect to achieve?
- the action contributes in improving the organisational and performance capacities of the penitentiary system to ensure human rights protection for prisoners;
- ensures improved provision of health care in prisons, particularly for prisoners with mental problems and for forensic patients;
- enhances the rehabilitation of prisoners through the application of a well-defined individual sentence planning and reintegration programmes for offenders.
How much will it cost?
- the total budget of the Action is 640 000 EUR;
- the budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How do we get more information?
- Criminal Law Cooperation Unit of the Council of Europe: https://www.coe.int/en/web/criminal-law-coop
- Horizontal Facility II Website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +381 63 601 337
- Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, [email protected], +355 69 217 8430
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.