Fighting Bullying and Extremism in the Education System in Albania
Tirana 18 may 2018
As a direct result of the visibility the Action on Bullying has gained in the local community,...
Albania 18 April 2018
Three series of Peer Learning Events were organised throughout March and April in Berat, Durrës...
National Day against bullying in the education system in Albania established within the Action on EducationTirana 12 April 2018
Upon the initiative of the joint European Union/Council of Europe Horizontal Facility's Action...
Albania 29 March 2018
Nowadays, peer learning is considered to be one of the most effective and powerful learning...
The Council of Europe assists in enhancing the protection of the rights of vulnerable groups by applying anti-discriminatory approaches in the formal education system in Albania based on Council of Europe standards and practices. This project is being implemented in close cooperation and partnership with the Ministry of Education and Sport. It will also include a broader group of national partners and stakeholders, including education policy and research institutes, selected pilot schools, local communities, media and NGOs, teacher training and youth organisations.
The Project is co-funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe as a part of the European Union – Council of Europe Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey and is implemented by the Council of Europe Education Department in cooperation with the Council of Europe Office in Tirana. The duration of the project is set at 32 months and it is expected to be completed by 31 January 2019, with an overall budget of 600,000 Euros.
Expected project results
The overall objective of the project is to find effective means to fight bullying and extremism in the education system in Albania, in line with Council of Europe standards. The first specific objective is to support relevant institutions in creating a safe learning environment through fighting bullying and extremism in the education system. This specific objective shall be accomplished through the achievement of the following results:
- Pilot schools have developed and started putting in place mechanisms to prevent bullying and to respond to the ideological challenge of extremism.
- Pupils experience a safe and supportive learning atmosphere.
- Moral values of inclusion and respect are taught as a part of the school culture.
The second specific objective is to improve educational professionals’ skills by increasing their knowledge and competencies on how to prevent and to deal with cases of bullying and extremism. This specific objective shall be accomplished through the achievement of the following results:
- Knowledge on bullying is improved through the development of resources for schools based on data from studies and best practices.
- The capacity of teachers and school management to deal with controversial issues, bullying and extremism is enhanced through the creation of resource packs.
- Educational professionals are conscious of the issue as a result of the organisation of training sessions, roundtables, workshops, conferences, awareness-raising activities and a peer to peer study visit.
The third specific objective is to raise awareness on what bullying is, how it impacts children, what the consequences of bullying are, and how to prevent it. This specific objective shall be accomplished through the achievement of the following results:
- Increased awareness and improved knowledge at school, community and central level of the consequences of bullying and extremism in the education system.
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.