Protecting freedom of expression and of the media in Montenegro
10 nov. 2023
Call for tenders: for the provision of consultancy services in the field of Freedom of Expression and the Media in the Western BalkansWESTERN BALKANS 10 November 2023
In the framework of the European Union/Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western...
21 sept. 2023Podgorica, Montenegro 21 September 2023
Within the framework of the European Union/Council of Europe co-operation initiative Horizontal...
31 mai 2023
Support of the European Union and the Council of Europe to freedom of expression in Montenegro to be continuedPodgorica, Montenegro 31 May 2023
Freedom of expression and media is one of the key priorities for Montenegro, and public sector,...
The action “Protecting freedom of expression and of the media in Montenegro” (PRO-FREX) is promoting freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Montenegro in line with European standards.
It aims at contributing to an improved environment for upholding the rights of freedom of expression, in a more pluralistic and safer media environment, in line with the standards as set by Article 10 of the European Convention of Human Rights.
This action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” running from 2023 until 2026.
What are the goals and objectives of the action?
- to strengthen the legal and policy framework of freedom of expression and of media
- to improve the capacities of the judiciary, police, legal professionals, journalists and civil society to apply the European standards on freedom of expression, safety of journalists and digital rights.
Who benefits from the action?
- Agency for Electronic Media, Agency for Personal Data Protection and Free Access to Information, Police Directorate, Centre for Training in judiciary and state prosecution, Ministry for Culture and Media
- Association of Professional Journalists of Montenegro, Trade Union of Media of Montenegro
- RTCG - Public Broadcasting Service of Montenegro
How does the action work?
- through the expert support to improve the alignment of the policy and legal framework on freedom of expression and the freedom of media with the relevant European standards
- by providing training support and by building capacities of the judicial and legal professionals, journalists and civil society activists, to apply the said standards in their everyday work
What do we expect to achieve?
The action will contribute to the:
- increased awareness and effective application by the judiciary and law enforcement of the media actors' rights (including digital rights), duties, and responsibilities in accordance with European standards
- strengthened legal and policy framework of freedom of expression and of media
- improved application of freedom of expression, safety of journalists and digital rights standards by media actors and universities
- improved environment for the citizens’ exercise of the right to the freedom of expression and work of independent and professional media.
What is the budget of the action?
The total budget of the action is 505 000 EUR.
The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Information Society Department of the Council of Europe
- Horizontal Facility website and e-mail address
About Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye
The “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Council of Europe that enables the Western Balkans Beneficiaries and Türkiye to meet their reform agendas in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy and to comply with the European standards, which is also a priority for the EU enlargement process.