Further enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
27 Apr 2021 21:03:00Budva, Montenegro 26 April 2021
The working group tasked to upgrade the rehabilitation programmes for prison system finalised its...
07 Apr 2021 13:42:00Podgorica, Montenegro 6 April 2020
In an effort to upgrade the application of standards of human rights protection by police...
18 Dec 2020 19:15:00
New steps towards the development of the rehabilitation programmes Manual for the prison system of MontenegroPodgorica, Montenegro 18 December 2020
The working group tasked to develop the rehabilitation treatment programmes (Manual) for the...
27 Nov 2020 18:46:00Budva, Montenegro 27 November 2020
Members from the Montenegrin special police forces took part in a first session of training of...
12 Nov 2020 14:23:00Kolašin, Montenegro 10 November 2020
The Working Group representatives tasked to develop a unified Manual containing all...
What is the goal?
- To enhance the respect of human rights of persons deprived of their liberty;
- To strengthen the safeguards against ill-treatment and accountability of police and prison staff;
- To improve reintegration programmes for prisoners for their safe return into the society.
Who benefits from the Action?
- Police Administration, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Administration for the Execution of Criminal Sanctions, Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Health;
- Detained, sentenced persons, and psychiatric patients;
- Civil Society Organization;
- Citizens of Montenegro who will be living in a more secure and safe society.
How will the Action work?
- It builds on the results of the Action “Enhancing human rights protection of detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro“ under Horizontal Facility I (2016-2019);
- Through technical expertise, using good practices from the Council of Europe members states, improved legislative and institutional framework, capacity building and peer learning through cascade trainings, as well as through working groups and piloting of treatment programmes for prisoners;
- Small grants awards to the most experiences civil society organisations active in the field.
What do we expect to achieve?
- Improved prevention of ill-treatment and combat impunity by police and prison staff;
- Enhanced capacities of Police service to investigate cases of ill-treatment;
- Fight against violent extremism in prison is well established;
- Reintegration programmes for inmates enhanced through rehabilitative and occupational activities;
- Safeguards against ill-treatment at the Psychiatric Hospital Dobrota enhanced.
How much will it cost?
- The total budget of the Action is 750.000 EUR
- The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Criminal Law Cooperation Unit, Action against Crime Department, Directorate General for Human Rights and Rule of Law website:https://www.coe.int/criminal-law-coop
- Horizontal Facility website: https://pjp-eu.coe.int/en/web/horizontal-facility/home
- Marija Simić, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 601 337
- Besnik Baka, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Besnik.Baka@coe.int, +355 69 217 8430