Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
First Steering Committee meeting - Action “Further enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro”Podgorica, Montenegro 11 July 2019
To mark the launch of the new Action on “Further enhancing human rights protection for detained...
Regional closing conference on Horizontal Facility Programme demonstrates benefits for Western Balkans societiesTirana, Albania 4 April 2019
Dedication of the authorities to reform of the judiciary, fighting economic crime and combating...
Kolasin, Montenegro 11 January 2019
More than 150 prison and police officers have increased their knowledge on human rights of...
The Action will assist Montenegrin authorities in their efforts to comply with standards set in the European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment and to implement recommendations of the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture – CPT.
The Action will focus on: enhancing the capacities of prison guards, police officers and medical staff in preventing ill-treatment and combating impunity; providing necessary tools to beneficiaries in their efforts to reduce overcrowding and improve detention conditions; strengthening inter-institutional cooperation in order to provide better access and better health care services to prisoners; protection of the rights of patients under compulsory psychiatric treatment; development of rehabilitation and reintegration programme; preventing and fighting the corruption in prisons; cooperation with civil society organisations.
This Action is part of the Council of Europe/European Union Horizontal Facility for Western Balkans and Turkey.
The overall objective of the project is to enhance the protection of human rights of detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro in line with the Council of Europe standards and in particular with the standards set by the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment – CPT.
Outcomes and expected outputs
Objective 1: to strengthen the safeguards against ill-treatment in line with Council of Europe standards.
- Prison and police staff capacity to prevent ill-treatment and combat impunity is further developed
- Improved healthcare regulatory/operational framework and increased capacities of medical staff to fight ill-treatment in prisons
- Enhanced capacity of NPM staff to address ill-treatment cases
Objective 2: to strengthen the institutional framework and strategic planning for improved conditions of detention and penitentiary health care.
- Systematic solutions for reduction of overcrowding in prisons and improving detention conditions are developed
- The institutional set up for the provision of health care services to prisoners and detainees is improved
- The rights of patients in psychiatric institutions are improved and better protected
Objective 3: to enhance reintegration of prisoners with the support of civil society organisations
- Rehabilitation and reintegration programmes are introduced by CSOs in selected prisons
Objective 4: to strengthen the protection of the rights of prisoners by addressing corrupt practices in prisons and improving internal prison rules for the prevention of corruption
- Regulatory framework to fight corrupt practices improved
- Knowledge of the IECS staff on addressing corruption in prison is enhanced
- Regulations for classification and categorization of prisoners improved
This webpage has been produced using funds of a joint project between the European Union and the Council of Europe. The views expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Union.
- Duration: 1 June 2016 - 31 January 2019
- Beneficiaries/Partners: Ministry of Justice/Institute for the execution of penal sanctions, the Ministry of Internal Affairs/Police Administration, the Ministry of Health, Ombudsman/NPM and civil society organisations
- Funding: The European Union and the Council of Europe
- Budget: 750.000 EUR
- Horizontal Facility
- Action against Economic Crime Montenegro (AEC-MNE)
- Fighting Ill-treatment and Impunity and Enhancing the Application of the ECtHR Case-law on National Level (FILL)
- Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
- Actions in education
- Accountability of the Judicial System in Montenegro