Freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Montenegro – JUFREX 2
26 Mar 2021 14:02:00Western Balkans 26 March 2021
The second edition of the online course on Freedom of expression is now available in Albanian,...
26 Feb 2021 13:31:00Podgorica, Montenegro 26 February 2021
The joint European Union and Council of Europe action “Freedom of expression and freedom of the...
07 Dec 2020 12:17:00
Support to the media community in Montenegro critical to the successful implementation of reformed media legislative frameworkPodgorica, Montenegro 7 December 2020
Protection of journalists has been one of the most critical issues within the ongoing media...
23 Nov 2020 11:59:00Budva, Montenegro 23 November 2020
In the framework of the action “Freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Montenegro –...
18 Nov 2020 10:28:00
Call for proposals: Grant scheme for media on promotion of freedom of expression and freedom of the media in Montenegro (JUFREX)Podgorica, Montenegro 18 November 2020
Under the joint European Union and the Council of Europe programme “Horizontal Facility for the...
What is the goal?
- To promote freedom of expression and freedom of the media and to improve the application of European standards in this domain;
- To strengthen skills and knowledge of the actors who are responsible to apply such standards as part of their daily work (judges, prosecutors, lawyers, police officers, representatives of media regulatory authorities, journalists, students and other media actors).
Who benefits from the Action?
- Local training institutions for legal professionals (Academy of Judges and Prosecutors and Bar Association);
- Media Regulatory Authority and Ministry of Culture;
- Universities/Faculties of Law and Political Science;
- Association of Professional Journalists and Media Trade Union;
- Judges, prosecutors, police officers, lawyers;
- Civil society organisations;
- Citizens of Montenegro, who will be able to receive quality information through media content
How will the Action work?
- The Action builds upon a previous EU/CoE Regional Joint Programme (JUFREX);
- The capacity building activities for the various professional categories adopt a dynamic methodology for adult learning and peer-to-peer model;
- The action uses an inclusive approach in order to generate dialog between the different actors and relevant stakeholders;
- The strong interconnection between regional and Beneficiary-specific Actions ensure strengthened co-operation, exchange of good practices and lessons learnt.
What do we expect to achieve?
- Members of the judiciary (Training centre in judiciary and state prosecutor’s office), legal professionals (Bar Association of Montenegro) and police officers (Police Academy of Montenegro) improve application of the European Convention on Human Rights and the Court case-law on Freedom of Expression;
- Media Regulatory authority's professional capacities are further strengthened (Agency for electronic media, Association of professional journalists and Media Trade Union);
- Media actors and relevant stakeholders, including Universities contribute to an enabling environment for freedom of expression and freedom of the media.
How much will it cost?
- The total budget of the Action is 500,000.00 EUR
- The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Directorate General I: Human Rights and Rule of Law: https://www.coe.int/en/web/freedom-expression/jufrex-2
- Martina Silvestri, Programme Manager, Martina.SILVESTRI@coe.int, +333 90 216 339
- Marija Simic, Horizontal Facility Communication Officer, Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 601 337
- Boris Ristovic, Senior Project Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org , +382 69 317 791