Expert Council on NGO Law
The Expert Council carries out thematic and country studies on specific aspects of NGO legislation and its implementation that seem to pose problems of conformity with international standards, notably the European Convention on Human Rights and the Recommendation (2007)14 on the legal status of NGOs in Europe. Its work covers the 47 member countries of the Council of Europe and Belarus.
It was created in January 2008 by the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe with the aim of creating an enabling environment for NGOs through examining national NGO legislation and its implementation and providing advice on how to bring national law and practice into line with Council of Europe standards and European good practice.
The Expert Council provides follow-up to a Recommendation adopted in 2007 by the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers which sets a framework for the legal status of NGOs in Europe (CM/Rec(2007)14) and to the Council of Europe's commitment to the role of civil society in the promotion of democracy, human rights and the rule of law. It co-operates closely with other Council of Europe bodies, in particular the Venice Commission and the Commissioner for Human Rights
- Terms of reference
- Recommendation (2007)14 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the legal status of non-governmental organisations in Europe - exists also in non-official languages e.g. Azerbaijani and Russian
- European Convention on Human Rights
Current members of the Expert Council
- Biographies of the members
- Contact Jeremy McBride for further information
President of the Expert Council on NGO Law
Studies by the Expert Council
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law related to NGOs 2017-2019 (2020)
- Guidelines on Protecting NGO Work in Support of Refugees and Other Migrants (2020)
- Using Criminal Law to Restrict the Work of NGOs Supporting Refugees and Other Migrants in Council of Europe Member States (2019)
- Compendium of opinions adopted by the Expert Council on NGO Law (2018)
- International Standards Relating to Reporting and Disclosure Requirements for Non-Governmental Organizations (2018)
- Compendium of Council of Europe practice relating to the right to freedom of association and the position of non-governmental organisations (2018)
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law 2015-2017
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law 2013-2015
- Regulating political activities of NGOs
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law
- Conditions of establishment of NGOs
- Internal governance of NGOs
- Sanctions and liability in respect of NGOs
- Turkey - Opinion on the compatibility of amendments to the Turkish law on associations with European standards (2020) - In English / In Turkish
- Serbia - Opinion on the Draft Amendments to the Serbian Law on Access to Information of Public Utility (2018) - In English / In Serbian
- Turkey - Opinion on the impact of the state of emergency on Freedom of Association in Turkey (2017) - In English / In Turkish
- Hungary - Opinion on the Hungarian Draft Act on the Transparency of Organisations supported from abroad (2017) - In English
- Romania - Opinion on the Romanian Draft Law 140/2017 on Associations and Foundations (2017) - In English
- Cyprus - Civil Society in Cyprus: Building for the Future (2015) - In English
- Russian Federation - Country study on NGO legislation in the Russian Federation (2015/2014/2013) - In English
- AzerbaijanCountry study on NGO legislation in Azerbaijan
07 May 2020 10:03:00Strasbourg 7 May 2020
"We are pleased to learn that the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova has now re-started the...
04 May 2020 14:42:00Strasbourg 4 May 2020
The Expert Council on NGO Law has adopted Guidelines on Protecting NGO Work in Support of...
29 Apr 2020 16:29:00
“Amendments to the Law on Associations of Turkey are problematic on both procedural and substantive accounts”Strasbourg 29 April 2020
The Expert Council on NGO Law of the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe published an...