Expert Council on NGO Law
The Expert Council carries out thematic and country studies on specific aspects of NGO legislation and its implementation that seem to pose problems of conformity with international standards, notably the European Convention on Human Rights and the Recommendation (2007)14 on the legal status of NGOs in Europe. Its work covers the 47 member countries of the Council of Europe and Belarus.
It was created in January 2008 by the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe with the aim of creating an enabling environment for NGOs through examining national NGO legislation and its implementation and providing advice on how to bring national law and practice into line with Council of Europe standards and European good practice.
The Expert Council provides follow-up to a Recommendation adopted in 2007 by the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers which sets a framework for the legal status of NGOs in Europe (CM/Rec(2007)14) and to the Council of Europe's commitment to the role of civil society in the promotion of democracy, human rights and the rule of law. It co-operates closely with other Council of Europe bodies, in particular the Venice Commission and the Commissioner for Human Rights
- Terms of reference
- Recommendation (2007)14 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the legal status of non-governmental organisations in Europe - exists also in non-official languages e.g. Azerbaijani and Russian
- European Convention on Human Rights
Current members of the Expert Council
- Biographies of the members
- Contact Cyril Ritchie for further information
President of the Expert Council
Studies by the Expert Council
- Conditions of establishment of NGOs
- Internal governance of NGOs
- Sanctions and liability in respect of NGOs
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law
- Regulating political activities of NGOs
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law 2013-2015
- Review of developments in standards, mechanisms and case law 2015-2017
- Meeting of the Expert Council and Round table on "Developments in Legislation on Noncommercial Organisations: International Experience"
19 Apr 2018 15:23:00Strasbourg 19 April 2018
The Expert Council on NGO Law of the Conference of INGOs issued an Opinion on the draft...
08 Feb 2018 11:34:00Strabourg 7 February 2018
The Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe is inviting qualified candidates to apply to...
11 Dec 2017 10:09:00
Opinion on the Romanian draft Law 140/2017 on Associations and Foundations: serious shortcomings as regards compliance with international standards11 December 2017
Created in January 2008 by the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe, the Expert Council...