SUSTAINABLE TERRITORIAL DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Strasbourg 10 March 2010
The Sustainable Territorial Development Committee, meeting in the Palais de l’Europe on 26 January 2010 with Anne-Marie Chavanon in the chair,
1. Adopted the agenda [CONF/TER(2010)OJ1] unamended.
2. Adopted the synopsis of the meeting of 30 September 2009 [CONF/TER(2009)SYN4] unamended.
3. Officially launched International Year of Biodiversity for the Council of Europe NGOs.
4. Debate on “biodiversity, a vital challenge for humanity”
In preparation for the European Day of Biodiversity organised by the Conference of INGOs, in co-operation with the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities on 28 April 2010, debated with the speakers on the following themes :
- Biodiversity: what challenges? - with an opening presentation by Jean-Pierre Raffin, ecologist, teacher-researcher, former European Parliamentarian, Honorary President of France Nature Environnement;
- The governmental and intergovernmental sector’s approach to biodiversity, presented by Jean-Pierre Ribaut, ecologist, former Secretary of the Bern Convention at the Council of Europe;
- Biodiversity as a vital component of the landscape, presented by Maguelonne Déjeant-Pons, Head of Division, Landscape Policies and Spatial Planning, Council of Europe;
- Biodiversity and climate change, presented by Francine John-Calame (Switzerland), Parliamentarian, Rapporteur of the Committee on the Environment, Agriculture and Local and Regional Affairs of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe;
- Biodiversity in the urban environment, report by Willy Borsus (Belgium), Deputy Burgomaster, member of the Committee on Sustainable Development of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, presented by Marité Moras, Committee Secretary;
- The NGOs’ contribution to protection of biodiversity, presentation by Edith Wenger (BEE), leader of the Biodiversity Taskforce.
5. Unanimously adopted the draft Joint Declaration “Acting together for biodiversity, preservation of natural biotopes and combating climate change”, presented by Edith Wenger, with a few minor changes.
6. Work of the committee
6.1 Organisation of European Biodiversity Day, 28 April 2010
exchanged views on the organisation of this Day with Agnès Nollinger, Head of Secretariat of the Committee on the Environment, Agriculture and Local and Regional Affairs of the Parliamentary Assembly, and Marité Moras, Secretary of the Committee on Sustainable Development of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe.
6.2 Organisation of action in favour of threatened horse breeds
exchanged views with Noël Orsat (CITI) on the possibilities for organising this event, a corollary of the technical conference. Despite the undoubted interest of the operation as presented and the intensive work conducted, it was agreed, at the Chair’s request, that organising this operation would be subject to outside legal and financial provision, as the committee was unable to shoulder responsibility for it.
6.3 Participation in the work of the various pillars
took note of the participants’ reports, which were included in the files, on:
- the meeting of the Committee on the Environment, Agriculture and Local and Regional Affairs of the Parliamentary Assembly on 4 December 2009 – Paris (Anne-Marie Chavanon);
- the Landscape Workshops, Malmö (Sweden) – 8 and 9 October 2009 (Patrice Collignon);
- 30th anniversary of the Bern Convention (Switzerland) – 23 November 2009 (Jean-Pierre Ribaut);
- meeting of the Committee on Sustainable Development of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities – Strasbourg – 1 December 2009 (Anne-Marie Chavanon);
- Conference on the Code of Good Practice for Civil Participation (Slovenia), organised by the Conference of INGOs under the Slovene Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers, 12 and 13 November 2009 (Robert Lafont);
- Conference of Ministers responsible for Local and Regional Authorities in Utrecht (Netherlands), 16 and 17 November 2009 (Anne-Marie Chavanon);
- took note of the committee’s 2009 progress report, included in the files.