EDUCATION AND CULTURE COMMITTEE
Strasbourg, 15 Septembre 2011
DRAFT SYNOPSIS OF THE MEETING
HELD ON 22 JUIN 2011
FOR THE ATTENTION OF THE MEMBERS OF THE EDUCTION AND CULTURE COMMITTEE
The Education and Culture Committee, with Alain Mouchoux, Vice-President of the Conference of INGOs, in the chair,
1. adopted the agenda [CONF/EDUC(2011)OJ1]
2. listened to the summary of the works done by the Culture, Science and Education Committee by his Chair Edouard Jagodnik (European Federation of Schools – FEDE), who underlined :
- the importance for the INGOs to have a voice at the different committees and sub-committees in order to contribute to the discussions and the common decisions;
- the quality of the work achieved by the sub-commissions “sciences”, “intercultural dialogue”, “the religious dimension of the intercultural dialogue”;
- the quality of the work done in the framework of the Forum of Oslo on the Universality of Human Rights (October 2010). On the website of the INGOs, we can find the reports of the different working groups and the conclusions (http://www.coe.NGO). After the forum, a booklet for young people was edited in French and English with the financial support of the European Union. Four French cities intend to organise events dealing with the subject. Contacts with Tunisia have been taken.
3. took notice of the results of the elections : Chair of the Committee : Sabine Rohmann, German (Robert Schumann Institute for Europe – IRSE), Vice-Chairs : Yosanne Vella, maltese (European Association of History Teachers) and Harry Rogge, Dutch (European Association of Geographers, EUROGEO).
The Education and Culture Committee, with the President Sabine Rohmann in the chair,
4. took notice of the taking office of the rapporteur, Roseline Moreau, French (Catholic International Education Office, CIEO). Ms Moreau will write the synopses, co-ordinate the work of the working groups, co-operate with the newsletters’ team whose responsible is Jean-Hugues Leopold-Metzger, (World ORT (Organisation for Educational, Resources and Technological Training) (ORT).
5. The Philosophy of the Committee’s work
Sabine Rohmann underlines the necessity to ally our actions to the priorities of the quadrilogue, to bring our specific contribution to the different authorities and to communicate our productions and proposals.
She emphasises that teamwork is the fundament of the Committee’s work. The question is “to give and to take”: to engage our competences for the profit of the European society, as well as to also to support the daily work of the Committee’s INGOs.
We target European actions, the elaboration of tools allowing the European teachers and educators to develop their professional practice. Those works will be realised in the framework of working groups which have to structure their own functioning. The responsible persons will be in regular contact with the chair, the vice-chairs and the rapporteur. In this way the communication will be easier at all levels.
6. Setting up of the working groups
Five working groups are proposed. Each group will take contact with the other committees working on the same topics in order to coordinate our works.
A- Teachers’ profession in the 21st century
Person in charge: Heleen Jansen
A questionnaire intended to the teachers has been developed. It aims to analyse their new needs in training in order to face the challenges of the 21st century. This questionnaire will be sent by Heleen Janson to all members of the Education and Culture Committee who are requested to distribute it within their NGO and to a maximum of teachers.
B- Access to the digital media for all
Person in charge: Harry Rogge
In the actual context of « all media », why and how to spark off an education of digital media for all, for all ages, for all social and professional environment? Can we avoid the “digital discrimination”? Can we ensure for everyone the use of media and the participation to the digital life ?
This group will contact the group “Education to the democratic citizenship and human rights in the area of digital media” which responsible person is Gabriel Nissim.
C- Learning history : becoming a democratic European citizen
Person in charge: Yosanne Vella
Can the learning of History bring young people to become active european citizens ?
There will be a co-operation with the History Teaching Division of the Council of Europe.
D- Think Tank : Education 21
Person in charge: Sabine Rohmann
In the context of the deep changes in today’s Europe and the World, which are the evolutions of the education? What are the priorities of the Council of Europe in this area? How to match these priorities with the actions on the ground?
Sabine Rohmann invites Committee members to join the work as soon as the process of the official installation of the “think tank” will be finished. She will inform us about the results of the current works. There is a strong cooperation with the Pestalozzi program and the DGIV. This co-operation will continue with the people who are in charge of the questions of education at the Council of Europe in the frame of the reform.
E- Culture and arts
Sabine Rohmann invites the INGOs to submit proposals of topics in the area of culture to promote the « living together » and the mutual undertanding. Deadline of proposals : 15 September 2011.
F- Current group: religions and human rights
Person in charge: James Barnett
The group is preparing the final report. Conceptual elements of the content are the distinction between the religion and religions, the complexity of religions, religious ideas… It includes proposal of training for teachers of religion. This report will be finalised in January 2012.
The members of the committee underlines the necessity to propose pedagogical approaches and training elements for all teachers and not only for teachers of religion.
One proposal: the committee could integrate the dimension of cultural heritage.
We have to involve young people: the committee could make contacts with the European Youth Parliament which prepares, in each country, a national session and after that delegates one college to participate in an international resolution. In the field of education to human rights, the Association “Regards d’enfants” proposes to European schools to take actions in order to learn the respect of human rights to the young people.
The committee is invited to contact journalists in order to make public its actions, for example in the framework of great events which are accompanied by the media.
One questions: if we want to initiate a new functioning of the committee, how can we construct a link between the European Union’s priorities (2010-2014 programme), the steering committees and our actions?
Working agenda :
Definitive constitution of the working groups
description of the work of the working groups
Publication of the first « Newsletter »
Milestone - look on the first results
Round table « media and education ».