GROUP OF SPECIALISTS ON RESERVATIONS TO INTERNATIONAL TREATIES (DI-S-RIT) : specific terms of reference
Specific terms of reference*
1. Name of committee: GROUP OF SPECIALISTS ON RESERVATIONS TO INTERNATIONAL TREATIES (DI-S-RIT)
2. Type of committee: Committee of Experts
3. Source of terms of reference: Ad hoc Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI)
4. Terms of reference:
In the framework of the examination of questions relating to reservations to international treaties, in particular from the human rights perspective, with a view to contributing to the work undertaken by the International Law Commission and bringing the views of member States in this field closer, the Group of specialists is called upon to:
- a. examine and propose ways and means and, possibly, guidelines to assist member States in developing their practice regarding their response to reservations and interpretative declarations actually or potentially inadmissible under international law and
- b. consider the possible role of the CAHDI as an "observatory" of reservations to multilateral treaties of significant importance to the international community raising issues as to their admissibility under international law, and as an observatory of reactions by Council of Europe member States Parties to these instruments.
5. Membership of the committee:
- a. All member States may appoint specialists in the Group.
- b. The Council of Europe bears the travel and subsistence expenses of 7 specialists, one from each of the following countries: Austria, Croatia, Finland, Netherlands, Romania, Russia and Spain.
- c. The Commission of the European Community may appoint a representative without reimbursement of expenses nor right to vote.
- d. Representatives of the following organisations and countries will be invited to take part as observers in the meetings of the group:
- - Commission of the European Community
- - The Hague Conference on Private International Law
- - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- - North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
- - Armenia
- - Australia
- - Azerbaijan
- - Canada
- - Holy See
- - Japan
- - New Zealand
- - United States of America.
6. Working structures and methods:-
- a. The Group is co-ordinated by the Representative of Austria, Ambassador Franz CEDE.
- b. In carrying out its terms of reference, the group of specialists may have recourse to consultants.
7. Duration: These terms of reference expire on 31 December 1998.
(*) Adopted at the 612th meeting of the Committee of Ministers (Deputies level), 16 December 1997, Decision 97/1076