Programme in Republic of Moldova
Improving electoral practice in the Republic of Moldova
In the Republic of Moldova, the Council of Europe implements a project ”Improving electoral practice in the Republic of Moldova, Phase II”, as part of the Council of Europe Action Plan for the Republic of Moldova 2021-2024. The overall objective is to improve the integrity, transparency and quality of the electoral process in the Republic of Moldova to better ensure citizens’ right to vote and to be elected.
What are the project objectives?
The Project aims to ensure the sustainability in the development of the professional and technical skills of the national electoral bodies at all levels, more inclusive and participatory electoral processes, and promotion of good standards into the electoral legislation and practice.
The specific objectives are:
- strengthening the capacities of the Central Electoral Commission of the Republic of Moldova, the Centre for Continuous Electoral Training by the Central Electoral Commission and the Central Electoral Commission of ATU Gagauzia;
- enhancing the women's and the youth participation in the electoral process, as well as ensuring the gender balanced approach;
- combating misuse of administrative resources during elections, and strengthening the electoral legislation and jurisprudence;
- enhancing domestic observers' skills to monitor electoral process.
Who are the beneficiaries?
The beneficiaries of the Project are:
- Central Electoral Commission
- Centre for Continuous Electoral Training
- Central Electoral Commission of ATU Gagauzia
- Judges in charge of electoral disputes
- Women rights organisations, young voters, proxies, observers, representatives of political parties, other electoral actors
Citizens of the Republic of Moldova
What is the length of the project ?
24 months from March 2021 to February 2023
Advertisement on the parliamentary elections in November 2014
Through its actions and activities in the Republic of Moldova, our Division contributes to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals 5 and 16 as well as indirectly to a number of others.